PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought

Hi all, in that great modelers tradition, I have started my next project after barely starting my last one.In this case, I wasn't enjoying the Modelik USS Arkansas, so I decided to start on this. I have enjoyed the previous JSC kits I have done, and this has turned out to be no exception. I have only one negative so far, and that is that it is printed pale blue for some reason. Otherwise it is beautifully printed, with lots of lovely detail.
On previous JSC kits I have not been able to get the deck nice and flat, I always managed to get a ripple in it somewhere. This is because the deck is printed on the same card as the rest of the kit, and it is added on top of the always unique JSC hull formers. By the way, I enjoy the JSC way of doing hulls. It is enjoyable cutting it out and getting straight to work, rather than laminating formers on thick card etc, then getting a sore hand cutting them out.
This time I cut the two major hull formers out, and glued the deck on first thing. I was able to put books on it to keep it flat while it dried, and it came out nice and smooth and stiff. I then folded it up and glued the rest together. I glued the rear sides on, then made the front part and glued that on. It came out very well. The black Plimsol line curved down at the rear, so it didn't sit flat along the line. I am not sure what I did wrong there. But never mind, it will look correct should I ever get around to mounting it on the sea.
Fit of parts has been exceptional except around the rear of the main superstructure. I had a small gap on each side, which I filled in with scrap. Others appear to not have had this problem. Anyhow enjoy the pictures. I look forward to getting back to work on it.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0195.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0196.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0205.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0206.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0207.jpg  

JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0222.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0221.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0211.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0209.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0212.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 PM

The water line was a bit wavy, so after the hull was finished I turned it over, made a few cuts here and there to get it straight, and glued a strip of thick cardboard along the edge to reinforce it. It came out well.
Attached Thumbnails
JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0197.jpg   JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-img_0200.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You're off to a rip-roaring start there Robert. You did a good job on the deck.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 214.21 MB
looking good Robert,i might get a closer look if i ever get around to visiting my daughter in Newcastle
Old 11-03-2015, 02:23 AM

Thanks Elliot and Hagman. My door is open should you ever make it this way.
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2015, 06:23 AM

An evenings work. It was quite fiddly doing the lifeboat racks but was also very enjoyable. I am very happy so far but wish it was grey.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
JSC 1/400 HMS Dreadnought-image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
great start. that wavy water line is jscs major shortcoming. another fix is to shorten their bulkheads at the bottom and make a base plate to have the hull skins attach to on the bottom waterline area.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work on a historic warship.

Don
Old 11-03-2015, 11:11 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Beautiful work on a historic warship.

Don

Well said Don.
And the construction is going at a very quick pace.
Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello there. That's a very good start indeed. I'm planning on building the dreadnought myself. I got that free sample from digital navy (not as detailed as JSCs tough). I will follow your thread.

Regards

Eduardo
Google Adsense