PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Early US Battleships

Hello,
I am wondering if there are any good models (any scale at this point) of the Earlier Post Dreadnaught era US battleships. Specifically BB-28 through BB-34? I am suddenly intrigued by the whole development of the battleship right after HMS Dreadnaught came into service. I cannot seem to locate any in my searches. Can anyone point me in a direction.
Thanks in advance

Darren
Old 01-12-2016, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Try this one:
Heinkel models

Not sure about BB's, but give it a try.
Models are great, by the way.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 AM

Thanks Gerardo,
I checked it out. They appear to be centered around the Civil war and years shortly after period. Just a bit earlier than I was looking. I agree they are great looking models, just not what I am after at this time.
Darren
Old 01-13-2016, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Digital Navy has a detailed model of USS Oregon USS Oregon | Premium Paper Models | Digitalnavy.com

Recently, people have reported inoperative links, and I think that Roman Detyna, the designer and site operator, has been focused on other things, but I believe that if you contact him (there is a contact email at the Digital Navy site: [email protected] ), you can arrange to purchase the model.

Other sources of turn of the last century warships are Mike Krol's Gremir (GreMir Models) and David Hathaway's Paper Shipwright (Paper Shipwright | Card models from the UK).

Don
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM

Thanks Don,
I will check them out. I was able to get to Digital navy but did not try to order anything. I will keep you advice in mind if I decide to order something. When I look over the sites, there seems to be a big gap starting around the late 1800's/Early 1900's (USS Oregon, USS Iowa) then it picks up at the USS Arizona and USS Oklahoma. (Nevada Class and Pennsylvania Class)
My interest is due to the fact that designs were changing so rapidly in those years. Ships were being designed, at least in the US, to replace ships that weren't even completely built. Maybe they aren't as popular in the model world (both Paper and plastic) is that most of them never fired their guns in Anger or if they did, it was for shore bombardment. Besides I think they look neat with the 5 or 6 twin turrets.
Well I guess that was a long winded response to say Thank you and I will keep searching.
Darren
Old 01-13-2016, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Darren - There are a number of outstanding ship model builders with deep expertise on naval history and ship architecture, three who have built ship models relevant to the period you are interested in are Golden Bear (no longer active), Mike Mash, Darwin, and Robert Wooley (formerly Hikokibert). Russ Fleishmann (RAFleishman) tends to focus on the WWII era, but, along with Nimitzfan, is very knowledgeable. I know I am slighting others, but these are the one that spring to my mind.

Golden Bear: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/s...archid=3067768
Mike Mash: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/s...archid=3067770
Darwin: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/s...archid=3067772
Russ Fleishman: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/s...archid=3067773
Robert Wooley: Small scale battleships

If you check the threads started by these modelers, you will find some interesting discussion and may get some leads on the kinds of ships you are looking for.

Don
Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Darren:
That's an interesting period you are exploring.
You have probably seen the great Digital Navy model of USS Arizona.
At one time I thought about attempting a scratch build of USS Arkansas, with her six double turrets.
But it would be an extensive undertaking. Here is an image of her (from Navsource) with lots of detail.
Hope you find something to build.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Early US Battleships-uss-arkansas.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 01-13-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: better wording
Old 01-13-2016, 11:22 AM

Don - Thanks again for your knowledge and directions. I am familiar with the works of Mike Mash and Golden Bear. I regret to say I have not looked at the builds of the others. I will look them over soon.
Mike - Thanks for the input. It would be my luck to hit an interest that is a black hole of modelling options. That is a great picture. If anyone could scratch build a high quality product, you would be it.
I am not sure why I am drawn to ships right now as I am primarily an Aircraft guy. Everyone of my posts have been aircraft and those have all been 1/87 scale. (Thanks Bruno). I guess it is my nature to want to try something new. Better study up before I decide on my next project.
Darren
Old 01-13-2016, 04:19 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
HMV has a kit for the USS Maine in 1/250th scale: USS Maine
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
was there a particular ship you are looking for?
Google Adsense

Tags
point, dreadnaught, battleships, hms, service, locate, direction, advance, darren, searches, battleship, bb-34, models, scale, good, wondering, earlier, post, suddenly, intrigued, early, era, specifically, bb-28, development