PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-23-2016, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful details, Michael. I'm impressed by ladders and reilings.

Tomek
Old 07-23-2016, 02:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
sir .out standing craftmenship
Old 07-23-2016, 04:11 AM

Hi Michael,

I was meaning the 47mm gum ammo (shell?) hoist, outlined in red here. I don't know if there was a flap on the deck or not, it would be sensible to have one. The other types of ammo hoist I've seen have been different, either fully enclosed, like Borodino, or with deck flaps and no vertical guides, like Tsesarevich.

I tried to guess at the shape of the bulwark (lined in blue), it's not clear from the plans. From photos, it looks like a shallow "U" shape?

Yes, I think that the cabin ("cabine de veille" or chart room) was always the same tan colour as the upper part of the hull, with curved corners aft. I haven't found any photo that show anything else so far.

It's really fascinating to see this ship taking shape before our eyes! Great work! Great tip for making ladders btw, thanks very much!
Best wishes,
John.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:04 AM

here is the forward side of the bulwark around the 47mm guns

Old 07-23-2016, 08:31 AM

and aft
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2016, 10:10 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello John,

Regarding the Amunition Hoist: Yes . . . now I see what you mean. As you can see in the image below, I knew there were passages for ammunition on the deck, but I thought they were only hatches/doors (circled in red). But now I see there was a device used to hoist the ammunition on deck for the 47mm guns. I may be able to find a diagram of these hoists. Then I can design and install them.

Regarding the shape of the bulwark: One can see in the images that it did wrap slightly around the front. Nice job outlining that in blue. That made it clear. Obviously , I missed that detail. My railing was much work, so I will leave it alone.

Your sharp observations and advice are helping me create a more accurate replica. Merci!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-200-amunition-hoist-locations.jpg  
Old 07-24-2016, 12:15 PM

De rien, Michael!
Old 08-28-2016, 05:23 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
12 – Ladders and 47mm Guns

I want to acknowledge the comments from Becky, Don, Eatcrow, John, Rmks2000, Art Deco, Darren, Shipbuild, Tmek and Rifleman. Thank You.

So . . . . Jauréguiberry goes forward with the installation of the ladders I assembled in the previous report. I also added the ammunition lifts brought to my attention by John. I hope I have reproduced them accurately. Note: The capstan (image 108 and 109)that goes beneath the Navigation Deck is made of wood and paper.

Depending on which article one reads, Jauréguiberry had somewhere between fourteen and eighteen 47mm guns. Four of them were installed on the Navigation Deck. All the parts for these guns were made of paper, including the “rolled” gun barrels.

I included two photos showing this type of gun. Many refer to these as “Anti-Torpedo-Boat guns”. Image 114 is interesting because it is a contemporary photo of an actual gun. I think it is in one of the museums in Paris. Image 115 is a great photo showing a 47mm as it looked in almost new condition. It is a scene aboard the French battleship Charles Martel.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-106-ladder-assembly.jpg   -107-ladder-assembly.jpg   -108-capstan-amun-lifts.jpg   -109-capstan-ladders.jpg   -110-gun-platform-47mm.jpg  

-111-guns-platforms-47mm.jpg   -112-completed-guns-47mm.jpg   -113-guns-47mm-nav-deck.jpg   -114-image-47mm-gun.jpg   -115-image-47mm-gun-charles-martel.jpg  

Old 08-28-2016, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
It just gets better and better. A real inspiration !
Old 08-28-2016, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Incredible work on the 47mm guns and the ladders, which exemplify the term jewel-like.

Always appreciate the images of the actual ship and its armament, accoutrements, and deck furniture.

Don
Google Adsense

Tags
french, ship, jauréguiberry, images, build, project, armament, design, battleships, characteristics, photos, provide, report, details, show, plans, guns, navy, i’ll, searching, battleship, navy’s, digital, bernard, main