PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-23-2016, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Continuing my off-topic chattiness...

I finally got my Valmy cad model up in Rhino, and... I lost almost all of my work when I put my usb drive through the wash. Arrrrrrrgh!

Oh well, I need the Rhino practice, especially since Rhino 5 is somewhat different than the Rhino 4 I worked with for years.

Just for reference, Valmy was a small, somewhat shallow draft ship with two large guns. It was intended apparently to operate in the shallow waters around France and provide coastal defense against even fairly large enemy ships. The guns were 34 cm (13.4"). It had a sister ship, Jemappes and both were launched in 1892 and completed in 1894. They both were scrapped prior to the Great War.

It was interesting in having a low and rounded hull quite unlike the towering sides of most of the French battleships.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Carl: Sounds like your “Valmy” is getting underway.

Here is an image of her sister ship: Jemmapes. I see many features that were used on later ships, like the tall davits used to transport the boats out over the tumblehome. And the low curved hull you referred to can be clearly seen in the bow.

Also here is an image of (BB01) U.S.S. Indiana. The similar silhouette with the French ship can be seen clearly. . . . . both with single masts and twin funnels. When congress authorized the funds to build Indiana and her two sister ships, they were called “Coastal Defense” ships. It was not until later (perhaps after the Spanish American war) that they began to be called “Battleships”.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-coastal-def-jemmapes.jpg   -bb01-indiana-1895-1900.jpg  
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 PM
POTM Moderator

13 – 138mm Guns

Shipbuild, Don, JohnMGD, Millenio3, missileer, Fred, John, David, Dieter Renaud and Carl!
Thanks. Time for more photos.

Work has started on the 138mm guns/turrets. These have a similar configuration to the larger 305mm turrets, but these are “double” turrets and are much smaller. There are 4 of these, two located forward and two located aft. I have built them with rotating capability and they are removable. Installing these turrets will then clear the way for installation of the superstructure assemblies.

Still remaining to be installed on each turret are the two targeting domes for the roof and an air hatch.

I have included an historical image of the back of the 138mm gun turret. It is a clearer version of the one John contributed earlier. It looks like this was taken after the ship was painted gray. I have replicated the back door based on what I see in this photo. I am speculating that the round object is an air hatch on the roof just above the door.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-116-gun-turrets-parts-138mm.jpg   -117-gun-turrets-parts-138mm.jpg   -118-gun-turrets-parts-138mm.jpg   -119-gun-turrets-parts-138mm.jpg   -120-test-fit-assemblies.jpg  

-121-overview.jpg   -122-historical-138mm-turret-backside.jpg   -123-artillerie-138mm.jpg  
Old 09-24-2016, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Mike, that photo of the secondary turret is one of favorites of all time. The clear details of the roughness of the build and the size. Imagine being in one of those when there was firing. Ugh.

Nice work and keep it up!
Old 09-24-2016, 11:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful work Mike. It sure is a nice looking ship. It's always interesting to me to look at things like those turrets and think that back when they were made, they were probably cutting edge technology.

Keep up the great work!
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2016, 03:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
nice secondery turrets Mike.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Many thanks for the in-progress images of the secondary armament under construction, the vintage image, and the plans. The model gets beautifuller with every report.

Don
Old 10-16-2016, 04:45 PM
POTM Moderator

14 – Abri du timonier (Wheelhouse)

Thanks Carl, Corbin, David and Don.

These images show many of the parts needed for the wheelhouse platform and the admiral’s lookout platform. Image 124 shows the navigation deck cabin and the armored conning tower. The “Abri du timonier”, if I have translated the French correctly, corresponds to “Helmsman Shelter” in English. Images 126 and 128 are my attempt to replicate it. Also, the railing needed for these assemblies is underway. Image 129 shows the admiral’s platform, which can be seen clearly in the historical image. It is the first platform on the mast as one goes up from the wheel house deck.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-124-superstructure-elements.jpg   -125-superstructure-railing.jpg   -126-superstructure-elements.jpg   -127-superstructure-railing.jpg   -128-helmsman-wheel-house.jpg  

-129-admirals-lookout-platform.jpg   -130-forward-superstructure-historical.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Beautiful ship's wheel along with the helmsman's and admiral's houses Michael.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent work on the wheelhouse, platform, and admiral's platform, Mike!

Don
Google Adsense

Tags
french, ship, jauréguiberry, images, build, project, armament, design, battleships, characteristics, photos, provide, report, details, show, plans, guns, navy, i’ll, searching, battleship, navy’s, digital, bernard, main