PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 321.25 MB
Looking forward to watching this one, never seen it done from scratch, good luck with it and thanks for sharing
Old 02-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
65mm gun

I could read on the sailor's cap, right," Charles Martel". Many postcards were taken on board this ship.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work mike

Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
35 – Auxiliary Boat Hoists

Thanks to all of you for the kind remarks.

This next group of images does not make great strides in progress. But there was an enormous amount of work needed to create the first boat hoist.

Jauréguiberry has the most complex hoists I have encountered so far in the French fleet. They are a collection of booms, rods, cables and pulleys. The two aft hoists are approx. 25% larger than the two forward hoists. I assume that is to accommodate lifting the heavier steamers, which are located aft.

All the parts are made from paper. While rolling the booms and rods, I discovered that Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol works better than water because it does not disturb the ink details printed on the paper. Dipping the part in the alcohol before I roll it makes it more flexible and the part rolls much better. When it dries, no glue is needed. The part holds the new shape perfectly, and the part dries quickly.

The hoists appear prominently in many of the images of Jauréguiberry. I hope you like this one.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-308-aft-boat-hoist-parts.jpg   -309-aft-boat-hoist-parts.jpg   -310-aft-boat-hoist-parts.jpg   -311-aft-boat-hoist.jpg   -312-aft-boat-hoist.jpg  

-313-aft-boat-hoist.jpg   -314-aft-boat-hoist.jpg   -315-jaureguiberry-aft-hoist.jpg  
Old 03-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I enjoyed seeing the hoist take place step-by-step, Mike. Splendid detail work, as always, and a good tip regarding alcohol-infused paper for tight cylinders. I plan to experiment to see if Jameson's Irish works as well.

The historical image helps to show how closely you have replicated the original.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I plan to experiment to see if Jameson's Irish works as well.
Jameson makes everything I build look better.

I don't think it would make any improvement what-so-ever on Mike's modeling. That hoist is an entire model in itself.
Wow!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:20 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
I enjoyed seeing the hoist take place step-by-step, Mike. Splendid detail work, as always, and a good tip regarding alcohol-infused paper for tight cylinders. I plan to experiment to see if Jameson's Irish works as well.

The historical image helps to show how closely you have replicated the original.

Don

Thanks Don and Christian.
I thought another vintage photo would be fun!
Attached Thumbnails
-jameson.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-10-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Neat detail and design Mike. It looks like you're having fun with these hoists.. I think a bit thread would be ok ( hard to imagine those thin strips of paper ha )
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glen - You may not be aware that Mike has fabricated a miniature Metters Rope Making Machine complete with a 1/250 scale rope walk with which he produces 1/250 scale laid rope from tiny strands of paper. Don

PS: Perhaps I should have held this post until 1 April. Or admit that I have been at the Jameson's.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Quote:
...Mike has fabricated a miniature Metters Rope Making Machine complete with a 1/250 scale rope walk with which he produces 1/250 scale laid rope from tiny strands of paper...
Aha! I knew something was afoot!
Google Adsense

Tags
french, ship, jauréguiberry, images, build, project, armament, design, battleships, characteristics, photos, provide, report, details, show, plans, guns, navy, i’ll, searching, battleship, navy’s, digital, bernard, main