PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-23-2016, 06:16 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
03 – Lower Hull

Hello Modelers:

Thank You Eatcrow, Art and David.

These images show the current state of the work. This is the first layer of two for the green lower hull plates. Each is cut and fit individually. No software. There are gaps in many places, but the second layer will eliminate those.

As you can see, beginning with the first photo, I have attached a balsa “Grip Block” to the top. It provides an advantage in handling the hull during the finishing process. After the lower hull is sanded, painted and finished, then the Grip Block will be removed. (I used the same technique in my previous project).

Regarding the historical images: The first image is the only one I have showing the ship in dry-dock. It shows a lot of hull detail that will be very helpful.

The second image is a nice starboard view on a sunny day. I particularly like the two old steamers in the foreground. This second image, in its original form, is a very large (19044 x 22339). So it is particularly good for looking at details, as you can see in the last two images of the Steamers. These both show how much detail can be seen in the image when viewed at larger sizes.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-019-lower-hull-plating.jpg   -020-lower-hull-plating.jpg   -021-lower-hull-plating.jpg   -022-lower-hull-plating.jpg   -023-lower-hull-plating.jpg  

-024-lower-hull-plating.jpg   -025-lower-hull-plating.jpg   -026-lower-hull-plating.jpg   -027-cherbourg-le-jaureguiberry.jpg   -028-jaureguiberry-starboard.jpg  

-028a-jaureguiberry-starboard-1st-steamer.jpg   -028b-jaureguiberry-starboard-2nd-steamer.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 02-23-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: better wording
Old 02-23-2016, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Mike -

The framework is so beautiful that it is almost a shame to cover it up with the hull plating. I spent some time in an imaginary stroll between decks.

Everything looks magnifique and the historic images are priceless. It's all a great treat for the eye.

Don
Old 02-23-2016, 11:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
Lovely work Mike. The dry dock picture is fantastic, especially the life goes on aspect with the laundry strung up between the anchor chains. I also enjoyed a bit of detective work to figure out the ship docked behind. I believe it is the Bouvet.

Robert
Old 02-24-2016, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What a build!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Wonderful build so far. I agree with Don about the internal framework. The historical photos are great. I am curious about the "grip block" you use. Can you explain that or show how you mounted it. I think it would be very helpful to keep from crushing things.
Darren
Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 AM

And wouldn't that steam launch make a nice model?

Don
Attached Thumbnails
-028_jaureguiberry_starboard_2nd_steamer_detail.jpg  
Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
And wouldn't that steam launch make a nice model?

Don
I was thinking the same thing Don.
However, This launch was not part of the ship's flotilla (I think).
I don't see any boats in the plans that resemble it. And it might be too large.
Mike
Old 02-24-2016, 10:39 AM

Yes. I thought that it looked too big to be one of the ship's boats, especially with that large aft deckhouse, but I love steam launches, and couldn't help noticing that it would be a pretty model in and of itself.

Meanwhile, I look forward to watching Jauréguiberry take shape, even if does mean covering up those beautiful decks and formers.

Don
Old 02-24-2016, 10:43 AM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by talls6 View Post
Wonderful build so far. I agree with Don about the internal framework. The historical photos are great. I am curious about the "grip block" you use. Can you explain that or show how you mounted it. I think it would be very helpful to keep from crushing things.
Darren

Thanks Darren: The “Grip Block” is simply a rectangular (scrap) piece of balsa. This one is 3/8” thick.I glue four “feet” (small blocks) to it, then glue the whole thing to the top deck of the project, prior to installing the main wood deck. That makes it very convenient for handling the whole thing during the lengthy finishing process. After the lower hull is finished, I removed the Grip Block and install the main deck.
I hope that helps.

Mike
Old 02-24-2016, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Thank you Mike. That helps. I may use one when I start my USS Arizona in a few months.

Tags
french, ship, jauréguiberry, images, build, project, armament, design, battleships, characteristics, photos, provide, report, details, show, plans, guns, navy, i’ll, searching, battleship, navy’s, digital, bernard, main