PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-16-2016, 05:40 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
French Battleship Jauréguiberry / 1:250

Hello Modelers:

In 2002 and 2003, while working on Digital Navy’s Oregon, I was searching for and finding wonderful old photographs of battleships on the web. During my searching, I stumbled across images of French ships like Charles Martel, Massena, Bouvet, and of course, Jauréguiberry. I had never seen anything quite like them. Even though I was captivated by their design characteristics and appearance, I didn’t see any realistic chance that I would ever get to build one.

Five battleships later, (including two French), I am anxious to build the Jauréguiberry.
Unfortunately, there are no kits of this ship available. So the advantages of paper modeling are clear. If no kit is available . . . build it anyway. This report will provide photos and details of my project.

During the French Navy’s battleship revival in the 1890s, the Jauréguiberry was the pride of the fleet.
This ship brought together all of the unique design characteristics found in their Cruisers and Battleships from this era. Included are the tumblehome hull design, main armament “diamond” configuration and armored battle masts.

The ship was named after a distinguished naval officer: Bernard Jauréguiberry. He served in the French Navy in the second half of the 19th century. Bernard achieved the rank of Vice Admiral and became a member of the Council of Admiralty. In 1879 he became the Minister of the Navy.

Some basic data:
Length: 367ft
Width: 75.5ft
Main Armament: Two 305 mm and Two 274 mm guns.
Secondary Armament: Eight 5.4 inch guns.

Some time ago, when France's “Service Historique” ship plans were available, I created digital copies of the pages necessary to build this ship. So that is where the plans come from. That, along with some pictures I have gathered should provide what I need. During this project, I’ll show the images of Jauréguiberry that I have. I’ll also show images of many other French Warships sent to me by friends. Any helpful contributions of photos or plan details by followers of this report are sincerely welcome.
I hope I am able to create a beautiful replica of this proud ship.

I am excited to get this project started. So here are the first images.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-001-jaureguiberry-early-carreer.jpg   -002-decks-drawings.jpg   -003-waterline-deck.jpg   -004-waterline-deck-frames.jpg   -005-waterline-deck-frames.jpg  

-006frame-multiple-decks.jpg   -007-frame-crossmembers.jpg   -008-frame-multiple-decks.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A wonderful project, Mike! I am glad to see the cale sèche Mash has another ship under construction. I expect to learn a lot from your scratch building methodologies.

Don
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks like another winner
cheers Jim
Old 01-16-2016, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Not sure if Systèmes Navals Mash are using a cale sèche or a cale de construction, but either way this thread is going to be fascinating.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
I have been looking forward to your next build mike. This looks like it is going to be something special. Will you be doing it in the two tone scheme? The pictures I have seen of it painted all grey make it look very impressive,as the French tried to make them look like floating fortresses.

Robert
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Another "must to follow" thread! And this time with a design and build from scratch! I'm sure i'll have a lot to learn.

Best, Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 01-17-2016, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.34 GB
I've not seen this done before. Wouldn't know where to start so this is going to be fantastic

MIKE
Old 01-17-2016, 06:57 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Woolley View Post
I have been looking forward to your next build mike. This looks like it is going to be something special. Will you be doing it in the two tone scheme? The pictures I have seen of it painted all grey make it look very impressive,as the French tried to make them look like floating fortresses.

Robert

Thanks to all for your enthusiasm.

Thanks Robert. Here is an image of the color scheme I'll be using. The hull below the waterline will be green.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-z-photo-jaureguiberry-port.jpg  
Old 01-17-2016, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Great project.. Looking forward to following along.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Great start. This should be really interesting.
Looking forward to more.
Google Adsense

Tags
french, ship, jauréguiberry, images, build, project, armament, design, battleships, characteristics, photos, provide, report, details, show, plans, guns, navy, i’ll, searching, battleship, navy’s, digital, bernard, main