PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper Fan, this model was produced about a decade ago, Only 20 were printed and this is one of six known to exist.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Michael, keep in mind that this second prototype is obsolete, originally conceived as an educational tool with students in mind.

It was a simplified version of the first prototype, the Third revision (pending) was to eliminate all of these glue tabs so as not to be confused for actual structural components during assembly.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Michael

Nice work a very clean and precise built and a good color match on the card stock edge, I find it hard to believe you are "New" to paper models.

Jim Nunn
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 PM

Ironclad, Shot-proof Steam Battery

By the way, this model is not exclusively the USS Monitor. The cover doesn't even say that, and the provided stand calls the model an "Ericsson Class Monitor." The cover says it is an "Ironclad, Shot-proof Steam Battery." There is a portrayal of the Battle of Hampton Roads over the date of March 9, 1862, as well as a period photo of the USS Catskill.
The back cover recounts the Monitor's history, but also shows a vintage photo of the USS Lehigh's turret. The model's description calls it a "fictitious rendition," though it seems like the most realistic and accurate rendition available, to me. The interior of the hull and turret are pure Monitor. Several configurations of her exterior are available, as well as modifications to convert the model into one of the other ironclads mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 USS Monitor-cover-front.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-cover-back.jpg  
Old 03-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I am 62 and have only made two simple paper models in my life. The first was a Lichtenstein Castle 30-40 years ago, and the second was Nate Saint's Piper Cub about 15 years ago. [Pictures are of the same models from the internet, not mine.]
But I have a lot of experience doing precise cutting with an X-acto knife and printer's loupe, and glue, though it is all 2D.
Plus, I am a perfectionist and enjoy doing close, highly-detailed work.
One of my favorite hobbies is marquetry, making pictures out of wood veneer. The veneer is about 1/32" thick, and trickier to cut than cardstock, due to the grain and tendancy to split. I make my own designs. Since this is a Civil War related thread, I'll use my Gone With the Wind scene as a sample...
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 USS Monitor-nassauerhaus_lichtenstein_4-1.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-20665343210_b8fe95f37f_b.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-gonewiththewind.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2016, 02:57 PM

Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time, using the Catskill and the Lehigh external deck references for a documented "River Duty" configuration but it created a generic, "Ironclad shot-proof, Steam battery" the pending third revision will be purely U.S.S. Monitor and labeled as such, all external deck references from the latter two will be subsequently omitted.

The third version should be well less than 1,000 parts.

Last edited by FRD; 03-11-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS MONITOR View Post
...One of my favorite hobbies is marquetry, making pictures out of wood veneer. The veneer is about 1/32" thick, and trickier to cut than cardstock, due to the grain and tendancy to split. I make my own designs. Since this is a Civil War related thread, I'll use my Gone With the Wind scene as a sample...
Forgive the momentary hijack. That marquetry GWTW piece of yours is drop dead gorgeous!!! I enlarged it and just drank it in. What is its size?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM

elliott--

Thanks. The GWTW marqetry picture is 13" x 16 3/8" including the black frame.
I did it in 2009.

--Michael
Old 03-11-2016, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Is there a timeframe for release of the 3rd edition?

Thanks,
russ..
Old 03-11-2016, 05:28 PM

No time table on the third revision (1:72) as it requires a complete re-drawing from the table up. (including all of the illustrations.)

There is however the potential, that this second, 1:100th prototype will go into a second limited print of an additional 20 copies.

I'll post it here if/when they become available.
Google Adsense

Tags
monitor, uss, model, 5/8, 3/4, raft, completed, comprise, 1, 040, parts, part, card, posting, procedures.], mcmillan, michael, top, modeling, forum, interior, virginia, css, recently, building, begun