PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Michael, that marquetry is exceptional.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:08 AM

FRD--

Every time I hear further details about your upcoming 1/72 "New and Improved" Version 3, I'm more excited. Please make more than 20 next time! Do you take advance orders?
Glad I can practice first on one of your "prototypes."
No tabs -- that should look even more realistic.
Here's a picture where I cut off a section of the starboard tabs with the intention of making some sort of cutaway.
I recently finished the anchor well region. Definitely the most challenging area thus far. The anchor well cylinder is smaller than a dime and the anchor chain pulley is only 3/16" in diameter, and the hawsepipe has to line up with two holes.
But the big issue was keeping the cylinder circular, with 7 parts pushing against it in very cramped quarters, squishing it some. This is where someone more experienced would have had less trouble, probably. Anyone have any tips or advice for ensuring a circle keeps its shape under such circumstances? There is also the issue of the anchor well hole in the lower raft plating lining up when it is put on later. This happened to me on the deck. Good thing there is an anchor well cover! That upper section of the anchor well remained more circular, with only 4 parts against it, but it didn't line up with the holes in the deck pieces that were added later, as shown in the 3rd photo. [You can see there that I scored all the deck plate edges.]
I should stress that this misalignment is modeler error, not a design error. Any suggestions on avoiding/minimizing this sort of thing are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 USS Monitor-tabs-removed-cutaway.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-bow_anchor-well.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-bow_anchor-well-top.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Here are the pens, markers and pencils I am using on this model. The markers are great, but bleed through, so you have to be careful how/where you use them.
The printer's loupe is a mandatory tool for all my hobbies.
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 USS Monitor-pens-pencils.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-loupe.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Michael, sorry to hear of your difficulties, the best way to keep a shape is to use a solid form from the inside, this is particularly important when forming the cannon breechs.

On the two that I assembled I used the handle of an artist brush the same diameter as the cannon, sanded the end to a hemisphere, shaped the breech and cannon body around it, once done I removed the brush.

To easily align the anchor chain hawsepipe I used a toothpick inserted between the two openings in the fourth bulkhead and the anchor well to align it, this hawsepipe should be kept cleared as the anchor chain has to pass through it.

There are a lot of small parts on the 1:100th that's why a 1:72nd is in order.

Last edited by FRD; 03-12-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I use the Prismacolor pens, pencils and water coloring sticks for touch up and most of all on the edges of the cuts. This company has a wide range of products that can be used for paper modeling. If you haven't yet you might like to take a look at there web site. Amazing! wc
Google Adsense
Old 03-12-2016, 12:44 PM

When I last assembled the 1:100th I kept and array of pins, needles and objects of various diameters handy to form all of the small, cylindrical parts around.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:03 PM

By the time you get to the engine, condenser, manifold, blowers and flywheels you will be an expert at forming complex little cylinders around various objects.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
wc, Are you talking about the Prismacolors bleeding?
I've had good luck with the Faber Castell Pitts. I don't
use black but do use the grays.

Beautiful modelling, I , unfortunately, have one of the
1/150th scale ones.

Cheers, Bob
Old 03-12-2016, 02:21 PM

Rjm, if you have one of those 1:150th scale demos, burn it.

It was only a demo I used to illustrate to PMI and NOAA what I had in mind, it is highly inaccurate as it was done BEFORE the research began, this 1:100th six years later was the end result of the research and the recovery expeditions.

25 of the 1:150 were printed by PMI, I now know where about a half dozen of them are, if you have this version, you are got it at a very narrow window of opportunity. (2002)

I personally would advocate for it's immediate disposal.

Last edited by FRD; 03-12-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
No Bob I didn't mean to say that Prismacolors pens and pencils or there water coloring blocks but when I did use other pens and etc. I did have the bleeding problem. Water color pencils work a lot better. I have never had any problems with Prismacolors. Beautiful ship BTW. Looking forward to her completed. wc
Google Adsense

Tags
monitor, uss, model, 5/8, 3/4, raft, completed, comprise, 1, 040, parts, part, card, posting, procedures.], mcmillan, michael, top, modeling, forum, interior, virginia, css, recently, building, begun