PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Michael, software is a preference of the user. a very early version of AutoCAD was used for the 3-d wireframe, imported then into Corel for all of the 2-d graphics.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
Michael, software is a preference of the user. a very early version of AutoCAD was used for the 3-d wireframe, imported then into Corel for all of the 2-d graphics.
Okay. I am a long time Corel Draw user. I used Autodesk 3D Studio Release 3 for years. That ran in DOS/Win95. I have a couple 3D programs I can try to figure out. Not sure which is more like 3D Studio r3. How did you flatten parts, add tabs and make the Plans?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Michael, several months ago I did begin the 1:72nd revision in earnest but it poses some very serious issues.

I'm re-drawing it from the bottom up because all of my old .dwg files were lost.

As far as challenges go, you may note that all of the interior plating as well as the raft have numbers to locate the corresponding bulkheads, the tabs serve two purposes, one is to hold glue the second is to cover the numbers.

If you lose the tabs you have to lose the numbers, great care would then have to be taken to assure that the proper bulkhead lands on the proper mark, one bulkhead in the wrong place would create quite a problem.

The second issue is the size, at 1:72 it would require that the largest parts be segmented even on a large format print, this segmenting leads to a complete re-drawing of the illustrations to reflect the additional parts and their application(s).

1:72 would be quite a project and I've got a good start on it, the book of drawings is now my primary source of information.

All I need is a little motivation, you see, the 1;100th sat on a shelf for the past 8 years gathering dust while I moved on, it wasn't until I spotted the one on ebay recently (#6) that there has been a renewed interest in the subject, most people were not aware that this even existed.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Fred and Michael:
On the 1/72 or larger scale Dare I suggest that the plates be individual ones and butted and rivet detail after Edge coloring???? I know Miles is nuts for even thinking about this, This from the guy who is going to do the AEC Dorchester armored command truck in 1/24 scale and going to glue on individual plates with rivets.
Youse Guys have to come to Niagara falls to throw tomatoes at me,
Miles
Old 03-14-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Fred and Michael:
On the 1/72 or larger scale Dare I suggest that the plates be individual ones and butted and rivet detail after Edge coloring???? I know Miles is nuts for even thinking about this, This from the guy who is going to do the AEC Dorchester armored command truck in 1/24 scale and going to glue on individual plates with rivets.
Youse Guys have to come to Niagara falls to throw tomatoes at me,
Miles
Miles--

You think like me! If I was making me one at that scale, I was thinking about doing just that.
It seems you could go ahead and cut the deck plates along the edge lines, even if that wasn't the original intention.

--Michael
Old 03-14-2016, 07:13 PM

Splitting it up would be a challenge, the illustrations alone would kill me.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:46 PM

Tonight I finished two sheets of bulkheads. One more sheet to go -- sixteen.
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 USS Monitor-bulkheads-frombow.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-bulkheads-fromstern.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-bulkheads-stern.jpg  
Old 03-19-2016, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Beautiful clean modeling!! Love this thread..
Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice photos Michael.
Those are highly detailed (and delicate?) bulkheads.
Mike
Old 03-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
I did a scratch built mixed media cutaway for my high school U.S. History class many, many years ago (OK, like 34). I had found a very old diagram to work off of. Yours looks much better.
Google Adsense

Tags
monitor, uss, model, 5/8, 3/4, raft, completed, comprise, 1, 040, parts, part, card, posting, procedures.], mcmillan, michael, top, modeling, forum, interior, virginia, css, recently, building, begun