PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Jan,
No doubt about it. Another beauty taking shape.
I admire the way you sculpt such lovely hulls from scratch.
Mike
Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Jan,
very good work. Smooth, nice looking hull.
Waiting for next pictures:-)))

Tomek
Old 06-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Beautiful hull Jan. The result of your work is extraordinary.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.96 MB
It looks like you are off to a great start! I will be following your build with great interest. Way to go Jan!
Old 06-10-2016, 01:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Hi Jan,

I am astonished about the way you handle your material. I wish I could make a hull like you do.

As I mentioned before, recent research provided us with the fact that the historical Anna Maria appeared not to be a fluit, but rather a hagboat. The problem with the wreck at Dalaro was, that the powder room in the back of the ship exploded after the fire, so that nothing remained above the top of the stern post. Hence the mistake in determining the ship type.

For you that is no problem at all, many fluits with shapes like the one you make sailed the seas, but a hagboat is actually a sub-type, derived from the fluit.

Cor Emke, who made the drawing of the ship was a close friend, with whom I published several books. He died last year, age 84. That you found his drawing on a Russian site does not surprise me much. It seems they even published some of my books in Russian, of course without my permission. Well, communication between east and west has not always been easy lately....

Nevertheless I will follow your work on this fluit with much interest. Maybe you can choose another depiction on the stern, but that is not of any importance. What it is all about is, that you are making a beautiful ship model with your talent and we will be watching your work in awe.

Good luck,
Ab

Last edited by abhovi; 06-10-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 AM

Thank you, my friends, I´m trying to do it as best as I can

abhovi: I tried to find any information about hagboat on the net, becauze this type of ship is strange to me, but I´ve found almost nothing, just some pics - but these ships are called " hekboot " ( the first and second one ). Am I right ? And something here:
Fredrik Henrik af Chapman, Architectura Navalis Mercatoria, 1768. Here is a big similarity between cross - lines of Anna Maria an Hagboats.
As you told, it means quite different structure on the aft, but....I´ve just started it up, and the shape of the hull is defined. Now I have no other choice, just to continue.

Back to the model. I´m continuing with clinker planking. I used 2,5 mm strips of 0,5 mm cartoon and glued them 0,5 mm each on another to make clinker effect. Then I colored it by red colour. Why? because I like the picture from Texel diorama a lot Then I glue the 1 st wale and some planks.
Now I can continue with planking.

Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-hekboot-1-.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-hekboot-2.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-1.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-2.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-3.jpg  

Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0002.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0004.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0007.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0064.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0066.jpg  

Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0068.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0070.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0071.jpg   Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-dsc_0074.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Don't change your plans. As I told you in the PM the model you are making is historically just. It was in the archives that historians found the remark that Anna Maria was build as a hagboat and because of the explosion that destroyed all the upper works aft people assumed that this was a fluit. The pictures you found are good ones, but please continue building as you do, because the shape is nice.
As for the taffrail: how about this one:

Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-scan.jpg
This was found in Denmark, the ship's name must have been 'Abraham's sacrifice' and the ship dated from 1639.

Another thing I wanted to show you is the lines plan of a hagboat I reconstructed from a list of data on the shape of a hagboat built for the Eastindia Company VOC. I will tell more about this source in a new thread I will start soon on a 160 foot VOC ship.
For some reason the `Manage Attachments` link won't allow me to upload more than one picture, so I will be back with a new post hereafter to show that picture as well.

Last edited by abhovi; 06-12-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 06-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Here is the picture of the lines plan of a hagboat, part of a page from my first book:

Anna Maria 1694 ( firdajan 2 ) 1:96-scan.jpg

The plan is made on the basis of data supplied by the VOC in a book by P. Van Dam: 'Beschreyvinge van de Oostindische Compagnie' (Description of the Eastindia Company) 1701.

The ship is much like a pinas, but for the stern, which is round, without the usual flat tuck. The officer's compartments are much wider that in a fluit.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 AM

abhovi: thank you very much Now I´m clear, this is what we are talking about. It´s a pity that the new knowledges shouldn´t be applied to plans - it could do these plans more interesting and different from another "typical " fluyts.I´ll dont change anything and continue with building based on plans I have.

Once more thank you very much.

Jan
Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
It already looks excellent, Jan!

Tags
ship, found, back, create, building, ice, transform, ribs, hull, plans, anna, trading, wooden, crew, portugal, built, end, maria, dalaro, emke, bussum, netherland, cor, created, webpages