PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-17-2016, 02:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Again my compliments for your work.

The problem with books like Risse von Schiffe is that they have been obsolete for a long time. When you look at your first picture you can actually see that the underside was white. (it is the straight line just above the waves).
You made a perfect translation of the drawings (I know them, because in the beginning of my career I did the same vessel in wood), but believe me: never trust a drawing. Especially when they depict Dutch ships and are made by people who do not have enough knowledge of Dutch shipbuilding traditions and techniques.

But all this takes nothing away from your excellent work. You in Eastern Europe are for some reason far ahead of us in the west... You fit in the same league as Tatasam, Milan Paulus, Firdajan2, Doris and others. Bravo!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
You are absolutely right, that old pictures can mostly give only a "general view". When I make model I relay on plans I have. I don't feel being competent enough to make my own "reconstruction".

It is a hope that she will be published, so the final version can be different. Do you suggest a different colour of the bottom? White? Maybe not "white", but "almost white"?
Any others changes?

I hope, that I will learn a lot here, so I desire every remark, comment and suggestions.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Another beauty!! Will look forward to updates..
Old 04-17-2016, 10:25 AM

No, not pure white. I don't know if they sell Humbrol paint in Poland, but I use nr 28 matt. In case you cannot get it there, take white and mix a little yellow and a drop of dark brown. Just an off-white effect.

I don't think it is profitable to go much deeper into the details of this yacht. I already mentioned the problems I have with this design. Not your fault. Forget it and enjoy your building.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Thank you. We have got Humbrol paints. (Poland is not so far, far away to the East:-))) As I wrote, I do not intend to paint this model, but will take into account your suggestion if she is published.
Again, I take some details from another German book "Die Niederlandische Jacht im 17.Jahrhundert" which probably is not perfect either. What's your opinion of it? There are hundreds of drawings based mainly on yacht models from Dutch museums (:-)) in this book. I assume that the drawings are more or less correct.

Once again thank you for your concern.
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2016, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Welcome aboard

Your model is perfect!
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 04-18-2016, 01:38 AM

I know Poland is not the other side of the world, but still, I haven't found a single shop here in Holland selling Polish paper kits. I love them, but have to order them online.

I don't know the book by Jaeger, but as a rule, buy books from people of the country of origin of the ship you want to build. Otherwise you take the risk of getting some pretty strange ideas. I can give you some weird examples of that....

What do you mean by publishing your model?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 AM

Well, I cannot answer, why Polish paper kits are not available in shops in Western Europe. But I understand it is uncomfortable.
Certainly I think about buying your book "17th century Dutch Merchant Ships", but my wallet says "No". Some day in the future.
"publishing"? sorry for my English, I meant "a cardboard model kit".
Old 04-18-2016, 03:53 AM

I can understand your financial reason. It is an expensive book. But at least it brings you draughts after the latest research. But I am not here to advertise my own books.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 202.82 MB
Well, Abhovi, allow me to advertise them for you because I have bought both volumes and consider them outstanding and worth every penny. Yes, they are quite expensive, but both the volume of the drafts of ships and the volume of historical description are superbly produced and, in my opinion, are as good as anything produced by the French Ancre publications. You did a good job and I am an appreciative reader.
I also have the Risse von schiffen des 16./17. Jahrhunderts and the Modellbau von schiffen des 16./17.jahrhunderts (both by Rolf Hoeckel), and they are useful for masting and rigging, but the model plans (in the risse book) are not much better than a modeller can buy from Panart, Sergal, or Corel, or any of the other wooden ship model companies.
This building of the Grosse Jacht is just superb. I am learning a lot, and hope you keep posting a record of your build.
Google Adsense