PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)

Hi,

I started my build few months ago but since PAPERFAN is making this model I decided to show my work to you as well.

My model would be made according to the documentation I have (drowings and high-res photos of a ship). I will point mistakes in the designed model and show you how to correct them in case anyone would like to build it. However, any changes will require a complete painting of this model as mistakes are so great that it would be impossible to make changes without further painting.

I will start from a few photos of assembled frames.

Regards,
Jakub
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-zuiho-1-1-.jpg   IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-zuiho-1-2-.jpg   IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-zuiho-1-3-.jpg   IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-zuiho-1-4-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-08-2016, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Looking very forward to your fixes.

For me re-painting was an option I decided against. The flaws in the framing are easy to overcome, simply build or sand down. Biggest problem for me was the widths of the lower hull plating are off, fortunately those easy to overcome and I do always paint the lower hull.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
This will be enjoyable and instructive.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:06 AM

Hi,

I am still working with the frames. I had to redesign some of them.

Parts WH1 L and P need to be corrected slightly. (Further comment on the photo)

The stern deck is to wide and does not fit to the frames. Unfortunately, colored textures are too wide as well. I decided to cut off the protruding elements as my deck will be different in this section. (Further comment on the photos)

Frame Pk2 does not fit to the parts 54a & b. Parts 54a & b are about 1mm too narrow on both sides. (Further comment on the photo)

Frame W 16 does not fit as it is too wide. But narrowing it does not fix the problem. How I did it I showed on the photos.

I had to change the shape of frames W16, W17 and W18 between the anchor deck and the next deck level. In the kit the frames are vertical there but on the ship they were not. Furthermore, there were no triangular shapes protruding on both sides. Further comment on the photos

That is how the frames look so far.

Regards,
Jakub
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-zuiho-2-1-.jpg   IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-zuiho-2-5-.jpg  
Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 AM

Hi,

I have a small update for you. This is the first major modification of the hull. After reviewing all my drawings and photos of Zuiho I noticed that there is a difference in the left 127mm AA gun station near the stern. So I have made necessary modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-analiza-na-forum-7_zpsgveeoczu.jpg   IJN Zuiho 1:200 (On the basis of Angraf's model)-zuiho-3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2016, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Hi Jakub,
Nice you are explaining ZUIHO's build in English now, can be used as a manual for building a real good model, although the original design of the model is not the best, will follow this with great interest !!

John.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:14 PM

Love the fixes so far, plenty to come.

Are you going with a grey hull? I decided against this level of fix mostly because I don't have a printer or access to one capable of delivering quality parts. You will need to go with an un-camouflaged deck which I was not ready to do.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:23 AM

Hi PAPER FAN,

I will do the model with the camouflage. I will paint it entirely with an air-brush painter like the rest of my models. Then, I will age it very slightly here and there.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:41 AM

how do you mask the surface and prevent damage when unmasking?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:27 AM

I use special tape for painters. It has a weak glue so I will not damage previously painted elements. For difficult shapes I will probably use an average A4 self-adhesive paper for printers. I will print the deck and cut out the shapes. But probably before I do it on the model I will try it on much safer environment.
Google Adsense