PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-09-2016, 01:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 153.17 MB
SS Badger-Lake Freighter Minis

My first ship build was the SS Badger, a car ferry operating seasonally between Ludington, Michigan and Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The 11-1/2", laser-printed waterline kit is by Lake Freighter Minis.

The lakefreighterminis.com website lists retail locations, but most are in Michigan or maritime-museum locations. ATLANTISTOY&HOBBY and PROPSHOPHOBBIES have online sales of the kits. The product line is primarily Great Lakes freighters, including the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The kit had excellent instructions. My aged eyes had difficulty with touch ups.

The instructions say to glue just the bow and stern lifeboat edges together. When the glue is dry, separate the top edges with a toothpick; but the toothpick didn't have enough wide leverage. On a whim, I had colored the interior of the lifeboats with a yellow Prismacolor, which allowed me to use the yellow pencil point to wedge the lifeboat sides into proper ovals without marking up the interior.

This was a good choice for a first-time effort.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Badger-Lake Freighter Minis-badger1.jpg   SS Badger-Lake Freighter Minis-badger2.jpg   SS Badger-Lake Freighter Minis-badgerangle.jpg   SS Badger-Lake Freighter Minis-badgerfront.jpg  
Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a nice model, and you have done a great job with it.

The Cape May - Lewes ferry sells a large model of one of their ferries. As a yearly rider on those ships, I had to build one. It made up into a good-looking model, similar in detail and appearance to your Lake freighter. I do not seem to have any images of it and it was played to death by the grandsons when they were much younger.

I look forward to seeing more of your models.

Don
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Good job. What's next on your cutting board?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice build - of an unusual subject!
Old 06-09-2016, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Nice build of the Badger. It looks pretty complete and you did a marvelous job recreating this legend of the Great Lakes. Coincidentally, I have actually been on that very ship! We took it to get back closer to Iowa from one of our many Michigan trips as a kid. I saw the photos this past Christmas when I was at my parents' house. I was a bit younger (7 y.o. I think). Our orange and white '72 Chevelle Malibu looked glorious coming off the ramps. Well, as glorious as an old, grainy photo can be anyway.

From what my parents said, it is still operating to this day. It is causing quite the fuss as it is coal fired, and leaves a nasty trail of coal dust in the air and water behind it. There have been many attempts to shut it down, but there is no replacement ready to go. My parents took a ride on the Badger last summer after visiting my aunt in MI.
Google Adsense
Old 06-09-2016, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 153.17 MB
Not surprisingly, the Badger's website is [url=http://www.ssbadger.com] It has a wide variety of ship pictures and videos.

With a little searching, you can find information on the several short shoreline cruises out of Ludington and Manitowoc. The web page I found lists 2015 cruises. Don't know what gives.

Last edited by Bobalooyi; 06-09-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Too much supplied info in web address

Tags
freighters, great lakes, lake freighters, ships, waterline