PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Much to my regret I caught my infallible example and model F.H. af Chapman (1721-1808) at an obvious mistake today.
Earlier I told about the long jib-boom that made the bowsprit longer in order to make it possible for the ship to quickly make a 180 degrees turn for sailing the way back and haul in the fish line.
Chapman shows a number of riggings at the end of his book Architectura Navalis Mercatoria (1775) of the ships he saw while making his tour through Europe. The rigging for the hoeker was there too.

another 17th century Dutch workhorse-1.jpeg

He shows quite a big sail on the jib-boom, so I took that as an example.
Rigging a ship is deciding about the weather it is in. My hoeker is drying its sails in a calm. When I turned to other original sources for details about this particular rigging I found out that this first sail was only a small one. Quite logical: it only helped to let the ship go about. It was a steering sail, much more than a driving sail.
Proof came from an 18th century book full of etchings with various ship types by Gerrit Groenewegen (1789), showing many variations of the hoeker, both as a fisherman and as a merchant vessel. Chapman described this particular ship as a fish carrier taking lobsters from catching boats and bringing them ashore, facilitating a longer stay at sea for the catchers. So maybe the bigger sail was because of making more speed? No, Groenewegen also shows a hoeker as a ‘jager’ (fish carrier) with the same small type of jib.
So I removed the big one and replaced it by a smaller one.

another 17th century Dutch workhorse-2.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-3.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-4.jpg

There were other sources too: here a model in the Rijksmuseum, showing the same small jib.

another 17th century Dutch workhorse-8.jpg

For who is interested in the sort of fishing: the name hoeker (hooker) for this ship obviously came from the type of fishing with hooks. A very long line (not coincidently in England this type of fishing was called ‘long line fishing’) up to 7 miles of length with baited hooks attached that were placed on the sea bottom, while connected by a number of barrels with flags on them, floating about a mile apart. This was evidently done to know the position of the line. Groenewegen shows the vessel both in bringing out the line and in sailing back.
Best of all: he also shows it, drying its sails. Such documentation is priceless.

another 17th century Dutch workhorse-9.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-5.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-6.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-10.jpg

And why did Chapman make this mistake? He was a ship builder. Not a sailor.
Attached Thumbnails
another 17th century Dutch workhorse-7.jpg  
Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Ab: Thanks for the sketches and excellent summer reading material.
I enjoy your renditions of the history and function of these ships.
Lovely vessels, yet very functional.
Mike
Old 07-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It is always a learning experience
Old 07-12-2017, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.71 MB
Just absolutely love this, its so great to watch your little ships take form.
Would love to learn how to do it myself. I am currently trying to build along with you, thanks for the really detailed description. But i am still a little in doubt how to make the line drawing into a nice ship hull :-D
Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Thank you Vermin_King, Don Boose, Michael Mash and all other regular responders. Your comments are always most stimulating and if you did not exist, you should be invented immediately for you are indispensable for the users of this forum. But most of all I am happy with Ikraos's contribution, for suddenly I hear of someone who is really ready to try out what I have been doing over the last year. You might comment that there are better model builders to follow, but from all the positive reactions from the 'habitués' (with all due respect) you are giving me the conviction that I am at the right forum with my stupid ship models. I often asked myself the question: is this papermodelers forum the right place to post for me, or is there more interest in working on kits. People can recognize themselves in that and compare their work with the champions who publish their accomplishments here. I sometimes feel like a sort of lost soul with my lonesome try-outs.
So that's why I am glad with your reaction, Ikraos and if there is anything I can do to help you with your efforts, please let me know, and I will see what I can do.
Ab
Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
I really love your posts here

I have all your books, but watching you go through the process of researching and wrestling with your builds is such a great learning experience....please feel very appreciated
Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
"Stupid ship models"?
Hardly. They are master works created by a world-class craftsman. I'm one of those who count it a privilege to sit at your feet and try to pick up all that you are teaching us. When you find a mistake in a model of yours (only one) you pointed it out, explained the logic in your reasoning and then fixed it. I do like the way you do things. Thank you sir for gracing our humble forum with your presence. We'd be grateful if you'd do us the honor of sticking around.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
i think that's an important point

your models are a physical way of "thinking" not just about ships, but about how one should relate to the past... in some ways you remind me of my father

we all appreciate your models... but i, at least, really appreciate just "watching you in action" as you use your models to think and learn
Old 07-13-2017, 07:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Pretty much what has been said. I really like the tie-in to the engineering of the past and the differences in the ships based on intended use.

Have you ever considered doing a group build on a simple ship or boat? I think most of us are afraid that we would totally mess up a ship model using your style. I have never had a ship model come out well, except for my modified Narnia build. They never come out 'true'.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.71 MB
I would love it if you would consider a group build like Vermin king suggests :-D
And thank you so much for your kind reaction to my last post, was not sure how it would be received, since you already did such a nice job showing off your build.
my "problems" come when i have to make the ....... what do you call them.... walls..... i think i need 14 of them, i am pretty sure i need to use the ones in the red cirkel, but i got really unsure if i needed the one in blue for anything :-D
And how do i best make the half sections whole :-D
Thanks a Million

Ole
Attached Thumbnails
another 17th century Dutch workhorse-skib-2.0.jpg  
Google Adsense