PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-09-2016, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Thank you al, gentlemen. Your remarks are a big support for me.
Hope to see you back here soon.
Ab
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
See you soon, sir
Old 05-04-2017, 01:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Time to show you my latest finished work horse, a project that has been resting for a couple of months.

A 'wijdschip' (wide ship) did not differ much from a 'smalschip' (narrow ship) as a ship type, except for the fact that it was a little bit wider. This difference in beam led to important differences in use and in the sort of rigging. The smalschip was designed to pass the locks in the city of Gouda, which was the only inland passage between the rivers Gouwe and the Hollandsche IJssel and therefore the only connection by water between southern and northern Holland. In fact the city was one huge lock itself, because there was only a single door on the north and another one on the south side of town. So ships could enter the city through one of the doors if open, had to wait three days before the door was closed and the other door was opened and could then continue to sail on. This system was very profitable for the city's bars and brothels.
Ships that were a little bit wider than the Gouda lock (which was 16 Amsterdam feet and 6 inches, which is 4.68 meters) were forced to take the passage 'outside the dunes', which meant over the North Sea, between the estuary of the great rivers in the south and the inlets between the islands up north. This mostly caused differences in rigging. The ship was also used for public transport over the Zuiderzee, between Holland and Frisia.

The model was made after a drawing made by Fred Hocker, todays managing director of the Wasa Museum in Stockholm, but years ago doing a training period in Holland. The wreck he drew was found in the reclaimed area of what used to be the Zuiderzee, today the IJsselmeer. It was recovered and is shown in a glass house in Lelystad today as an 'overseas ferryship'.

another 17th century Dutch workhorse-scan.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-beurtvaarder-b71_f_2_600_1-2-.jpg

I started the model last year, when I was working on other models of small Dutch ship types, but was forced to stop working on it because of physical problems.

another 17th century Dutch workhorse-img_0043-kopie.jpg

I planned to make the model to sail under almost windless conditions, which is why I added a lower square sail and a topsail, both sails only used in easy conditions. The fore sail is lowered. The ship is sailing with open wind, which means that the wind blows from the rear. Much to my initial dislike my wife's hair dryer blew much harder than I intended, bellowing the sails more than planned. But looking at the result I liked the speed it gives to the model, so I left it the way it was.

another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_1.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_2.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_3.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_4.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_5.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_6.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_7.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_8.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_10.jpg another 17th century Dutch workhorse-wijdschip_9.jpg

For the time being that has been the last of my series of work horses, because other projects ask for my attention, but I hope you like this one anyway.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another historical masterpiece, Ab. Congratulations!
And I like the shape of the sails. It is just a gentle wind:-), but not exaggerated.

Best
Tomek
Old 05-04-2017, 04:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Absolutely brilliant.
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2017, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
abhovi, your posts are always educational. I learn something with every post you write! Your models are inspirational.

Thank you.

~~ Current Project: 1:100 Skipjack Kathryn ~~
~~ First Project: 1:250 Zeppelin LZ-17 Sachsen ~~
Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Wonderful ship Ab. Really like the way you detail the rigging and the way you can make paper/card look just like wood. Amazing!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Ab, your models are outstanding! Do you make the crew members yourself? They make your ships come alive.

Fred
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This is lovely craftsmanship Ab.
It is always a pleasure to travel back in time with you.
Mike
Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hi abhovi
It is very interesting how you work and, above all, the type of boats chosen.
I find your work excellent, especially the weathering and the painting.
I made a Dutch yacht similar to yours, but in wood.
My greetings and regards
Google Adsense