PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-10-2016, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
another dutch boat!

this ones been on the shelf for a few years
Attached Thumbnails
another dutch boat!-20160710_162436.jpg   another dutch boat!-20160710_162443.jpg   another dutch boat!-20160710_162450.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2016, 07:11 PM

let's see

if i can recover some of the build log

this was built from the dutch version of ab hovis book
it is, as i recall 1/24 scale
starting with the keel

all the big timbers are made by laminating, sometimes sizes were adjusted by stripping away one of the layers of the card used for the lamination
the laminations allow making lots of shapes that otherwise would have to be "milled", if this were being done in wood
Attached Thumbnails
another dutch boat!-keel_1.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_2.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_3.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_4.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_5.jpg  

another dutch boat!-keel_6.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_7.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_8.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_9.jpg   another dutch boat!-keel_10.jpg  

Old 07-10-2016, 08:09 PM

building the hull

i did not have frames drawn in the blanks, just the five frames at the key points

but it did have sections and cross sections... so i build up the inner shape of the ship...and then added the keel and some of the outer planking

this approach was vaguely inspired by the dutch "hull first" method of building. i planned to build the outer hull, and then use that to make patterns for all the frames

The slots cut in the bulkheads were supposed to make them easier to remove once i had the hull defined
Attached Thumbnails
another dutch boat!-jig_1.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_2.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_3.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_4.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_5.jpg  

another dutch boat!-jig_6.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_7.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_8.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_9.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_10.jpg  

Old 07-10-2016, 08:12 PM

more jig building

with a lot of head scratching as i went

you may be wondering why i was going to all this work
my ambition was to build the model with a full interior, with cut away sides so you can look in to see the cabins and holds
Attached Thumbnails
another dutch boat!-jig_11.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_12.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_13.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_14.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_15.jpg  

another dutch boat!-jig_17.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_18.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_19.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_20.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_21.jpg  

Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 PM

more templates

and more templates

after getting everything glued up i made some "test" planks and glued them together
i used pins from the outside to hold them in place, because i could only glue them to each other, and not to the internal mold
that seemed to work
then i "sanded" down the mold, just as you would a wooden hull, to get all the curves to run smooth
Attached Thumbnails
another dutch boat!-jig_22.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_23.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_24.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_25.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_26.jpg  

another dutch boat!-jig_27.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_28.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_29.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_30.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_31.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2016, 12:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks promising.

Tomek
Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
That sure is an interesting build you show here, Ken. Very creative to think of a method to fill in missing frames too.
But I can hardly believe this model comes from one of my books. It looks like a draught created by the late Jean Boudriot, the French phenomenon, who described and documented the entire French shipbuilding history. I'm flattered, but Boudriot was another league...
Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 AM

ab

i think the pictures of plans i uploaded were from another model, which was one of his

but this one is the statenyacht utrecht
Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Ah, yes, that one. Very fine shape. Original 18th century plan.
Good luck.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:24 PM

more

on building the jig
I added pieces to the top and bottom of the jig to try and keep it straight
i cut a piece of "plank" and, using the heights marked on the 5 main frames, tried to give it a smooth run
i "bent" the cardboard by hand to get the curve
when i had the curve i wanted i pinned the piece onto a full sized sheet of card and cut out the "real" plank
whic i then pinned to the ship (remembering that I cannot glue any plank to the internal jig, which will be removed
Attached Thumbnails
another dutch boat!-jig_32.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_33.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_34.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_35.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_36.jpg  

another dutch boat!-jig_37.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_38.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_39.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_40.jpg   another dutch boat!-jig_41.jpg  

Google Adsense