PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
Looks nice Yu! I hadn't of guessed you recolored those stripes and all the parts that they go over! It does make this a unique build and it looks very good to me!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Was the printing error only on the one part encircled? Great fix.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful work, YuG! I have eyed several HMV kits... Not sure I am up to the detail, but you have done wonders! Excellent build!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Glen, paper fan and Chris, thank you for your nice words.
It's like getting "otoshidama" (Japanese have a custom of giving money to children on New Year’s Day) in advance.

Best wishes throughout the coming year
Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Hear Hear, I agree. I stop more builds because of my own dislike of how something is turning out. This is a bad habit that can set in for many modelers. Oh to go back to the days of just building and being happy with however it turns out!:DRick
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Shipmate King2, Shipmate King2, this is Quite Rookie, over
Rick,
My concern is not only own dislike of how something is turning out but I’m unable to control my versatile disposition.
Taking an example, first my preference was laser cut railings but later changed to photo etched then now cut out railings supplied in a kit…….

This is not the latest work but about railings I built long time ago.
Before building this ship I used to use thread for railings but it was difficult to make it straight so for this ship, for the first time, I purchased laser cut railings and ladders.
Later I found the problem of laser cut railings that it is vulnerable to damage when shaping a tight curvature. So, I had to cut out railings supplied in the kit where they are shaped tight carveture or different shape that laser cut parts can not be shaped.
First picture : laser cut railings
Second picture: cutting railings supplied in the kit
Third picture: Encircled part is cut out railings
Fourth picture: cut out railings
Attached Thumbnails
Bismarck/HMV/1:250-bismarck_0011.jpg   Bismarck/HMV/1:250-bismarc_0012.jpg   Bismarck/HMV/1:250-bismarck_0013.jpg   Bismarck/HMV/1:250-bismarck_0014.jpg  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

YuG, would it be possible for a tutorial on how you cut out railings as printed in a kit. I find this simply amazing you have the skill to do this. I recently discovered a trick using nitro dope as used on gas powered model airplanes, to coat a part to strengthen the paper. I believe this treatment will allow you to make those hard radius curves we all dread to have to make f/a ships railing. I have often wondered how others such as you could by hand cut out a ships railing, and @ 1/250th. Look forward to more of this build. Your friend, Rick
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM

I like your cut out railings the best! It's fun to see someone else doing this. I find that everything fits better that way as long as there are templates in the kit.

Is that how you did the rings around the funnel as well?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
I like your cut out railings the best! It's fun to see someone else doing this. I find that everything fits better that way as long as there are templates in the kit.

Is that how you did the rings around the funnel as well?
Good question?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Your wish is my command, Rick
Had lunch quickly and drew the picture attached.

When you cut virgin paper there is fewer problems. You just cut it ordinary way as is shown in the picture ‘ordinary cutting’. Move knife blade toward you until it reaches near the end of cut line. When the blade get close to the end, change the blade angle to paper right angle by turning the knife in a direction opposite to you so that you will not cut beyond the end of cut line. To put metal ruler or something hard will be helpful to stop the blade. Pink colored arrow is the direction you move the blade.
At step 3. it will make it easier to cut if you turn paper and the blade 180 degrees. In this case you will move the blade in a direction opposite to you.

When you cut a line that is adjacent to the line you have already cut, it will be a bit difficult. The technique I use is ‘digital cutting’. To avoid tearing off narrow paper in between openings, move or press the blade downward little by little.

Note: If you cut beyond the line accidentally, don’t worry. Turn over paper and apply glue on the cut part. As the cut made by the blade is so sharp that there will be no trace left after glue dries. But in case you tear off paper…..over spilt milk.

Jim, I made it cutting laser cut railings as the curvature is moderate.
Attached Thumbnails
Bismarck/HMV/1:250-bismarck_0015.jpg  
Google Adsense