PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-30-2017, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanseat View Post
There is a fine model of QE at the Glasgow Science Museum.
i have the QE2 by schreiber but its the original Queen Elizabeth that is missing
Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
This is not only an exceptional display of modeling ability and research but a truly inspirational collection as well. Hanseat you are to be congratulated on such a fine collection of work. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Derek
Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I was thinking about it. I may need a close look at a builder's Model from H&W, if it exists.
all the ships deck plans are avalible at sscanberra site
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 114.28 MB
"The Old Reliable" in Glorious 1:200 Scale

What an amazing fleet of liners, Hanseat!

So very well executed, all of them, with such a fantastic level of detail - extremely impressive!

Seeing the last photo of your first model that you presented, of "The Old Reliable" (RMS Olympic), instantly brings something very obvious to mind; what if the sister ship RMS Titanic had had ALL those extra life boats on that fateful night, in the bitterly cold North Atlantic? How many more lives could not have been saved then? It really makes you think...

Thank you for sharing your modeling expertise,
Bengt in Stockholm
Old 08-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt F View Post
What an amazing fleet of liners, Hanseat!

So very well executed, all of them, with such a fantastic level of detail - extremely impressive!

Seeing the last photo of your first model that you presented, of "The Old Reliable" (RMS Olympic), instantly brings something very obvious to mind; what if the sister ship RMS Titanic had had ALL those extra life boats on that fateful night, in the bitterly cold North Atlantic? How many more lives could not have been saved then? It really makes you think...

Thank you for sharing your modeling expertise,
Bengt in Stockholm
its a bit like air crash investigations.titanic had the required number of boats as per board of trade rules at the time she sailed.olympics boats and all other ships were increased as a direct result of titantic.
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
A ship needs to sink squarely for all of its boats to be properly lowered. Titanic actually was one of the rare cases where it did go down without a list. If more boats were present it's not assured they still would have had the time to lower them all. Olympic like titanic only had so many derricks which only lowered 1 boat at a time. Modern ships have a derrick for each boat, many boats don't even require derricks at all.

Titanic was a good ship unnecessarily put into harms way.

Olympic was rebuilt with a 2nd inner skin, giving her an inner hull, this would have saved titanic.

Last edited by PAPER FAN; 08-11-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.17 MB
All those Engelhardt and Berthon collapsibles were not really seaworthy. Any swell would have resulted in a major disaster. It could also have been Kronprinz Wilhelm that was in collision with ice on the North Atlantic and not the White Star Liner if it had been a berg and not a small growler. And the chances on board all pre-April 1912 liners were all slim. The road to progress is paved with casualties.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.17 MB
For those who are interesed: I took some nice pics of liner models during my holiday: Conte Biancamano, Michelangelo, Andrea Doria (Martitime Museum Genoa), Great Britain, Frisia, Bayernstein (sister of Schwabenstein) (Deutsches Museum Munich)...
I also have pics from Cap Arcona, Völkerfreundschaft (ex Stockholm), Wilhelm Gustloff (Martitime Museum Bremerhaven). Next week I want to check out on Willem Ruys, Sibajak (Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd Museum), Hamburg (1969) et al. (Martitime Museum Hamburg) and also see what Morgenstern Museum at Bremerhaven, Altonaer Museum at Hamburg at Marine Museum at Laboe/Kiel have to offer
Old 08-12-2017, 03:35 PM

didnt realise so many of these old ships are still around
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Quote:
For those who are interesed: I took some nice pics of liner models during my holiday:
I think we'd all be interested, please post the model picturesfrom those museums
Google Adsense