PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-27-2016, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Plugging away. Plans help for general orientation and sizing but not for details. Fortunately Renaud has found decent photos that help with exterior design.

Today's image shows progress on the structure. Not that the top decks, fore and aft, are not correct. They will but cut down more.

More interesting is the relationship of the turret top and superstructure. The horizontal line projecting from the structure over the turret is the centerline of the deck. Looking at the photos in this thread it can be seen that this deck provides access to a platform mounted on the turret.

Originally, I thought that this platform went around the edge of the turret with the raised turret top projecting above. Design showed this could not be the case and is confirmed by looking at photos. The turret platform sits atop the turret and its edges project beyond the limits to the turret walls.

Carl
Old 09-27-2016, 04:08 PM

Ah ha! I forgot the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Valmy/Jemappes Golden Bear-z-valmy-9-27-ip.jpg  
Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Interesting feature. The photo provides a hint of one on the stern turret as well.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 PM

Oh, the after turret has its own issue. The forward and aft decks are at different levels. I'm saving that one for a future gripe. :-)
Old 09-28-2016, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Question Carl: so you use Rhino for you 3D designing ?? Was it not difficult to learn it at our age ??

John.
Google Adsense
Old 09-28-2016, 03:18 PM

Hey John, I have actually worked with 3D CAD almost since it was first developed. It was a proprietary HP program which developed over time.

Once I learned to think in a CAD sort of way it became easy to adopt Rhino. I knew the things that needed to be done and just needed to determine how Rhino did and does them.

Carl
Old 09-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Soooo pretty!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 PM

Hi Douglas!

OK, Michael. There is a turret-top platform on the aft turret. However the superstructure decks aft are lower than forward... kind of interesting in itself.
Anyway, there is still communication from the deck to the turret platform but by a RAISED deck to link the two.

For a bitty ship this has so many interesting things.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Grinding away at that turret platform which has caught my interest.

The photo shows quite a bit of detail for this platform. You can also see how the sea flushed right over the top of the bow. I suspect these ships had a marked tendency to dig into the water as they went faster.

I centered the platform on the turret, which is not the center of rotation. The turret and its angled skirt rotated together over the circular base whose center was a little forward of the actual turret center. I think this is correct but will continue to look at photos. But for now it looks from photos that the platform was indeed centered over the turret.

Turret brackets were indeed sized differently as indicated. I'm looking forward to watching Mike work on these sometime in the distant future.

The turret is not finished in design. There will be a sighting/aiming cupola as well as a large hatch. I can only see the hatch from side views when it was open. The plans are not sufficiently detailed to indicate all the bits and pieces on the ships.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Valmy/Jemappes Golden Bear-3-valmy-n-01769-et-afmn-a003-072-1895-.jpg   Valmy/Jemappes Golden Bear-z-valmy-9-29a-ip.jpg   Valmy/Jemappes Golden Bear-z-valmy-9-29b-ip.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Wow, This is a master class for design. I Love it. Top that off with a pretty interesting subject, this can only get better as you move along. I agree, I look forward to watching Mike work this one up. Master designer and Master Builder.
Darren