PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.37 MB
The superstructure is extremely similar - possibly a case of "Here's one we built earlier" to save design effort. Nelson's was nicknamed "Queen Anne's Mansions" after the London block of that name (requisitioned in WWI and used in part for the Naval Medical Department.) The name "The Octopoidal" seems to have been officially sanctioned if not officially adopted.

In reply to an earlier Q I overlooked, yes I am an admirer of the Epic of Gilgamesh, but Utnapishtim (the ferryman) is an old superuser id I had in a Unix computer dept.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Gas was used in WW I and it's use in the future was anticipated at the time the Nelson class was built. The bridge structure was carefully designed to provide simplicty in sealing against gas attack. That design principle was subsequently used on all later new builds and on the re-constructions in the QE class, Renown and London.
That it reminded folks of the view of Queen Anne's Mansions from Broadway (in London) is hardly surprising.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Q...s_Mansions.jpg

Interesting build Robert please keep going with it.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
I just did some research on the classes of monitors, and was confused at first of the appearance of the "Roberts" class, but after putting them in their classes everything became clear. There also was a HMS Roberts, back in 1915 from the Abercrombie class. The publisher Swiat z Kartonu from Poland has a nice scale 1:200 model of Abercrombie from the 1940 Roberts class, witch I just bought, with the plan , of course, to build it.
Attached Thumbnails
JSC 1/400 HMS Roberts-b1d9cf94943e184f.jpg  

Last edited by JohnMGD; 04-18-2019 at 06:09 AM.