PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 762.7 KB
More progress.

The tank top plates have been cut out and prepered. The cut outs are for the bilge wells, echosounder space and manholes that allow access to the bottom tanks for cleaning and inspection. Not an enjoyable task i'm sure.

The second watertight bulkhead has been constucted with its access ladders.

The box girders have been made. The longitudinal box girders have a recess with stops that locate the hatch covers. Getting the reverce bends in the recess to stay sharp and the stopsto stay in place whilst glueing was a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Another SD14 cargo ship-tank-top-plates.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-box-girder-construction.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-box-girder.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-box-girder-detail.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-box-girders.jpg  

Another SD14 cargo ship-no-2-watertight-bulkhead.jpg  

Stay warm, stay safe, stay indoors and build something!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:10 PM

A little bit more.

I made another punch, to cut out the manhole covers. Made the same way as the as the round punches but then I used a pair of pliers to make it oval. I decided to make the covers proud of the deck. In the real world they should be flush fitting but this detail would be lost when painted so I did it my way. The third picture shows the tank top plates (deck) and pillers fitted. You can also see that I had to fill in some of the lightentng holes. the tanks under no. 2 hold are devided into three; port, center and starboard so 12 holes had to be filled. Watertight bulkhead two and box girders dry fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Another SD14 cargo ship-manhole-covers.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-man-holes.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-bottom-tank-mistake.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-bulkhead-2-abd-box-girders.jpg  

Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Coming right along, and looking really great.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
Spectacular work, Well done
John
Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello,
Nice to see someone else started with this ship. During the period that I have been interested in the SD14 ships I have seen building approx. 5 of them in several forums.
( 3 in this one) All of them were more or less different from each other in respect of paintwork and the fittings. Very interesting.
In respect of colours: Tyne and Wear Museum in New Castle has a lot of actual drawings of the SD14 ships. There are also drawings specifying the colours used. I have 1 of the . If anyone is interested I can make a list of it.

Keep going. The holes in the bottom: very nice but for myself a little bit too much.

Gert Vlaanderen
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Irishman View Post
Spectacular work, Well done
John
Hi John I appreciate your interest and I'm glad you approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Hello,
Nice to see someone else started with this ship. During the period that I have been interested in the SD14 ships I have seen building approx. 5 of them in several forums.
( 3 in this one) All of them were more or less different from each other in respect of paintwork and the fittings. Very interesting.
In respect of colours: Tyne and Wear Museum in New Castle has a lot of actual drawings of the SD14 ships. There are also drawings specifying the colours used. I have 1 of the . If anyone is interested I can make a list of it.

Keep going. The holes in the bottom: very nice but for myself a little bit too much.

Gert Vlaanderen
Welcome aboard Gert. I'm interested in any information you have? I'm planning to visit the museum next time I'm that far north. I've seen marco and romanmodels threads on here. where have you seen others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
Coming right along, and looking really great.
Thankyou for your encoragement.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:03 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
After seeing yours coming along so nicely I want to build mine. I've done some experimental building of mine, scanned the entire kit and printed a few pages on letterhead size paper just to get a feel for the kit. Built the bridge and it came out, well, just ok. Not real happy with it. Good thing it's just a test. This way I can see what I'm doing wrong and once I retire in three months, maybe I too will begin the task of building this great kit.
A copy, not the original, you know, just in case.
I'll be following right along getting pointers from you as you progress. Thanks!!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 781.83 MB
I love the engineering on this ship. Great build.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:07 AM

one deck higher

Most of this weeks update is dry fitted. I'm decorating for my parents this weekend. I'v got plenty of parts cut out, so weekly updates can happen when life gets in the way.

Pictures show the "tank top ceiling plates." Fitted over the deck to protect from it from wear and tear when loading.
Then the tween deck plates prepared the cut outs at the bow let the water balast up as high as the forepeak top. Other cut outs are for access ladders, ventelation trunkways and trimming hatches, left open when carring bulk cargos to allow for movement.
Next the tween deck hatch pontoon covers. The instructions are a little contradictory here. On the sheet of parts it says score the center of the line, (the lines are thicker than all others in the kit.) On the instruction sheet you are advised to bias the scoring to make the parts higher and narrower, I did this and the fit is ok now but when painted? I also found the pontoons about 2mm too long, maybe because the recesses are not perfect. I made the pontoons shorter to fit.
Lastly deck, pontoons and the first frames dry fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Another SD14 cargo ship-tank-top-ceiling.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-tween-deck.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-pontoons.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-pontoons-fitted.jpg   Another SD14 cargo ship-tween-deck-plates.jpg  

Last edited by K193 buttercup; 02-25-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Spelling correction if you see anymore, sorry i;m dislexic.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
After seeing yours coming along so nicely I want to build mine. I've done some experimental building of mine, scanned the entire kit and printed a few pages on letterhead size paper just to get a feel for the kit. Built the bridge and it came out, well, just ok. Not real happy with it. Good thing it's just a test. This way I can see what I'm doing wrong and once I retire in three months, maybe I too will begin the task of building this great kit.
A copy, not the original, you know, just in case.
I'll be following right along getting pointers from you as you progress. Thanks!!
Once you get going its resonably straightforward, just so much of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davej View Post
I love the engineering on this ship. Great build.
I'm learning a lot about ship building. The kit has some compromses to make it work as a card model but its close real world methods. The kit was hand drawn in the. 1970s. No cad. or modeling software back then.

Google Adsense