PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.74 MB
Looks great . I'll be following the build. Good luck with it.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Glad to see all the peaked interest in the thread. Shipyard does their kits in 3 types.
They produce them in booklet form much the same as other card kit mfg's, 1/96 scale.
Then you have the up graded version 1/96, which is in the large clear envelope, the sheets
are separated, sails can be included and a laser cut frame. If I am building a full colored
card version of their kits in 1/96, these are the one's I try to find. Granted they do cost more, about double than the booklet version. Then you have the full laser cut kit that comes 1/72 with everything needed inclusive to to build the vessel. Granted, you add the color. Oh and then you have the Plan Books, and there are 2 versions of it as well. 1/96 or 1/72 from the plans.
Do not recommend these unless you have done a few scratch builds. But, if you are willing, a detailed piece can be had. They also do in a super set that includes laser cut parts. These booklets can range from $50.00 to $100.00 f/the Super version. Of course they do more than ships.
Rick
Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 PM

The contents of Shipyards Berbice
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-34-2.jpg  
Old 02-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Here are a few more photos of parts and assembly. I am not at this sage, I hope to start the frame this weekend.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-images-3-.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-images-1-.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-images-2-.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-images.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Well it is officially started. One thing I learned in previous builds of laser cut kits
is to clean up the sheets. I take each laser cut sheet, a paper towel and gently wipe the char dust from the whole sheet. Both sides. The 1st time I built a Shipyard laser kit, as I was building and painting, upon handling raw parts, I kept depositing black smudges on my finished parts. After awhile it dawned on me what I was doing. So from that day to now, laser cut anything gets a swiping before construction begins. You can see in one of the photos just how much char is on the sheet.
So, on Saturday February 4, the year of our Lord 2017....vessel is laid.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_1956.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_1955.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_1954.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperclip View Post
Well it is officially started. One thing I learned in previous builds of laser cut kits
is to clean up the sheets. I take each laser cut sheet, a paper towel and gently wipe the char dust from the whole sheet. Both sides. The 1st time I built a Shipyard laser kit, as I was building and painting, upon handling raw parts, I kept depositing black smudges on my finished parts. After awhile it dawned on me what I was doing. So from that day to now, laser cut anything gets a swiping before construction begins. You can see in one of the photos just how much char is on the sheet.
So, on Saturday February 4, the year of our Lord 2017....vessel is laid.
Rick
I would not have thought of cleaning the sheets. Good tip.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:24 AM

Thank you Mr Conk. That's how we learn, from each other!
Rick
Old 02-04-2017, 11:43 AM

The BERBICE 1780, is from the famous Baltimore Clipper family. These would be
derived from those little fast pilot boats. The name "clipper" has it's roots in English slang, a verb to mean clip. Originally used to discribe small single masted fishermen and pilots from Pennsylvania, New England and of course the Chesapeake Bay. Shipwrights from Baltimore gained great fame. They are considered the creators of the vessels originally called "Clipper".
BERBICE is a two-masted topsail Schooner, a classic example of what the Baltimore Clipper was in the beginnings of this design.
She was built in 1780 and bought by the Royal Navy in 1782. Many argue 1783?
She had yacht-type hull lines that provided her with high speed. She had teeth too...eight 4-pounders.....eight falkonets.....and smaller weapons.
To this day a letter of marque and reprisal survives in The Massachusetts State
Archives, giving Pole Felks Mikadzewicz permission to take actions against British
Ships and goods. His vessel was a two-masted Schooner.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Construction of the main frame begins.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_1961.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 02:14 PM

As with any ship build, weather card or wood. One must study and determine the ships hull lines. This serves many purposes, but most of all...alignment of keel to frames. This insurers a straight and squared hull. So using what is visible and provided by Shipyard...LWL is marked and preparing to mark frame
alignment marks. Using a flat steel square w/steel straight edge. All marking is done using a 0.3mm lead pencil. LWL means Lower Water Line.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_1962.jpg  
Google Adsense