Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Keel marked.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_1964.jpg  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Hi Rick,

Sorry, I'm late to the party. Looks like you haven't posted in a while, but I hope that changes. I've only completed two paper models, being mostly a wood ship modeler, but bother were Shipyard products, and I'm happy to see your build!

Clare
Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catopower View Post
Hi Rick,

Sorry, I'm late to the party. Looks like you haven't posted in a while, but I hope that changes. I've only completed two paper models, being mostly a wood ship modeler, but bother were Shipyard products, and I'm happy to see your build!

Clare
No problem friend. I have been so busy and very little time for modeling work. However, time does change and I now have the time and desire to resume this project. So hopefully I will post a update on this project soon.
Glad to have you aboard and look forward to any comments you may wish to add.
Rick
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
If you have another seat, I'll follow your log with great interest

Christian
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzwurm View Post
If you have another seat, I'll follow your log with great interest

Christian
You are more than welcome and feel free to comment.
Rick
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Took a break from this project. The Berbice as kitted is well designed in regulates to correct hull shape. But the colors as given and copper plating are not period correct for 1780. Actually the bottom of the hull would be cream with yellow upper hull. No copper bottom. This is verifiable by some quick research.
Now, this in essence is the same hull shape for a latter Pilot Boat. So, delete the armaments, change rig, use the copper tape and paint according, and you have a better representation of this type of hull.
So, I ask.....does this sound feasible?
Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Had today off and thought why not work on the Berbice. Spent a lot of time squaring up the hull frames. I have not followed the instructions! You are to
paint the Cabin Parts before gluing up the frames to keel. After having built a few of this mfg's kits, have learned some hard lessons. This way the Parts are glued firm and squared...painting 1st can result in a warped piece! I also after enough drying time will paint those areas with Vallejo paint. Like the paint that comes with the kit, but you have to thin w/water, and we all know what water does to card. Also this brand lends itself well to brush painting.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_0064.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_0066.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_0067.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_0069.jpg  
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM

Really nice progress, Rick. Before glueing the small paper stripes on the frames, you should shape them. On the second picture you can see why. I used superglue to hard the paper for this step

in the shipyard: Papegojan, 1/72 of Model Shipyard
Old 09-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzwurm View Post
Really nice progress, Rick. Before glueing the small paper stripes on the frames, you should shape them. On the second picture you can see why. I used superglue to hard the paper for this step
Good advice. Have a couple small pieces to add and other than adding paint to the required areas, the frame/hull will be ready for fairing. As you have suggested, CA applied to edges of the frames. I like to use gel type for this, does not penetrate too deep, and stiffens the frames enough to sand. Once all is faired, the frame is ready for the first paper skin. And as you suggested, pre-shaping is a must, will certainly follow your advice to stiffen the paper w/CA. Sounds like a lot of work, but definitely pays off in a smooth shape and not like a starved dog's ribs. This will be my third Shipyard kit, have learned from each one. But also is good to have friends to share their advice too. Feel free to share your thoughts anytime.
Rick
Old 09-21-2017, 10:22 PM

I don't have much experience with cardboard. I build models from Polystyrol and wood. So I am really happy to follow your log. If you have any hints for my build, please feel free to share them.

in the shipyard: Papegojan, 1/72 of Model Shipyard
Google Adsense