PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well done!
You are a one man shipyard, sir.
Three ships at the same time and all masterfully built.

Best regards
Ed
Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Hipper, seriously difficult but rewarding kit. The small details are over engineered and as such i slightly simplified several. The fit is up GPM's high standards.

Someone needs to remind the designers that when the thickness of the card stock is 1/3 or more the size of the part then skip the part.

She should turn into a fine model, but when compared to the slightly less detailed kits also shown here, nothing is gained by the ultra fine details. If you need a magnifying glass to see the part then it has no real value on the kit.

Joe,
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2260.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2261.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2262.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2263.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2264.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2265.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2266.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2267.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2268.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2270.jpg  

Old 07-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Beautiful work.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.74 MB
Very nice job.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Turret construction - SLC.

Surprisingly well designed turrets on this kit considering there is no internal structure. It took me about 2 hrs to make A turret, and 1/2 hr to build B turret. I added a lot of tabs and I think the results speak for themselves.

Basically, build the base, then and the frame work for the barrels. The kit has the barrel structure set up as a folded part. I advise cutting out the center section as folding it will result in a slight too tall frame. Simply but join the side pieces to the turret base and face. Next add the turret back with tabs. Install the barrels. The glue the outer housing by starting at the top by the guns. Then work down to the face. I reached inside the housing the fix the tabs then finally flipped up the aft section and to my surprise an enclosed housing was done.

Note, the early US cruisers could not individually raise or lower the barrels, a poor design finally cleared up in the San Francisco and later ships, so care has to be taken to keep all barrels trained at the same level.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2311.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2312.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2313.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2316.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2317.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2318.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2319.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2320.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2321.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2322.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2323.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2324.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM

4 turrets mounted. I still have plenty of work yo complete, but the ship looks so much better with her batteries placed.

My old Portland is moored to her port side.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2327.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2326.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2325.jpg  
Old 07-30-2017, 03:53 PM

Arming Hipper.

GPM's design is a standard all to its own, easy and clean is the only way to describe the turrets.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2435.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2436.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2437.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2438.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2440.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2441.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2443.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2444.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 PM

Some additional Hipper work. She has captured my fancy so I have spent more time than planned. Anyway, the kit continues to amaze me, classified as a difficult build but I disagree, except for Zara, easiest of the 3. The model is so well designed it simply goes together well.

All turrets rotate, currently bridge and funnel structures are not glued. I will add ladders once they are installed.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2636.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2637.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2638.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2639.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2640.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2641.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 05:28 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Fine precise work Joe.
I admire the way you move those large assemblies around without damaging them.
Mike
Old 09-04-2017, 05:58 PM

Enjoying your beyond my skill level of multi builds. Do have a question? I have the GPM Graf Spee and want to repaint. Could you please share your methods for such a wonderful finish. Read where you asked about how to mask for painting. Also, did you do any prep before applying paint. Looking forward to
More of your build.
Rick
Google Adsense