PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Hi Rick. Nachi is the only painted model other than the lower hulls, not counting the barrels, rails, etc. In this group.

Other modelers have painted camo on their models and I wondered what masking could be used without damaging the substrate.

Doing 4 models simultaneously does not require skill, and if anything makes it easier as if you tire of one you go to another. Also, I believe I saved 2 yrs in real time building my bb's this way, and I simply won't live long enough to build all the kits I already own not to mention new releases coming out all the time.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Also, no prep on Nachi, I use model master acrillic paints and brush it on. My old plastic days I airbrushed nut I believe brushing is better on the paper kits. I sand between coats on the lower hulls.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the quick reply. I too was a airbrush fanatic. But after building a few Shipyard kits that required painting by brush, I was converted. One approach I have seen in wood ship building is to use spackle to fill in gaps and defeats. Also I built many FF balsa jobs and used nitrocellulose dope before a very lite coat of color was applied. Spackle does not shrink nor is it too watered down. So, I will let you know how this works out. Years ago another member who has since passed on, used a type dental wax to smooth and seal his hulls. His builds were magnificent. I miss Doc Rocks! Anyhow, clean building and look forward to your next update.
Rick
Duke #1
Old 10-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Turrets for Nachi, I used BB's to weigh the assembly so the barrels won't tip them forward from the free sitting mounts. On both Salt Lake City and Adm Hipper the internal frames were large enough for pennies. I used white napkin heavy brushed with white glue for the blast bags. In the past I would paint these white but I kind of like the faded white look of the naturally dried napkin.

I'll add the aerial frame work to turrets B and X later, too much handling still needed to do to worry about damaging frail parts.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2710.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2711.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2716.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2717.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2718.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2763.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2764.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2799.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2800.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_2801.jpg  

Old 10-08-2017, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great looking turrets!! Well done!
Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2017, 02:21 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
There is an interesting variety of Japanese turrets. You pulled together some clever techniques to render these with so much fine detail.
MKike
Old 10-09-2017, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work on the turrets and guns. Thanks for the clear step-by-step images and the narrative information on your methodologies.

Don
Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Beautiful work.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:39 PM

Finishing SLC.

Completed the masts and rigging. Still some painting to do. I used stretch sprue for the vertical lines and ultra light fishing line for the main lines. I repainted the main barrels after looking over internet images of the ship.

The 5" 38 caliber secondary mounts are finished, a little washed out in the pictures.

I's currently working on the 40mm quad mounts.

Joe.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3195.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3196.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3196b.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3197.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3197b.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3198.jpg  
Old 03-23-2018, 05:02 PM

I all but finished the model, a couple small details remain, but I had a window in the weather that closes today until late next week. It's been an odd winter on the east cost of the US even as far south as North Carolina.

This has been a fun model to build other than either the hull is too short or the deck is too long. I corrected this (not perfect) by shortening the deck and superstructure after the 2nd funnel by nearly 1/4" or 6 mm. The aft mast is close to the turret, but amazingly I think it's actually close to being correct. Images of the real ship indicate the after mast platforms are actually very close to the 20 mm gun tub mounted on top of the turret. These ships crammed a lot of material on a short hull, not surprising all US Navy subsequent treaty cruisers were built with 3 turrets rather than 4.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3334.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3335.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3336.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3337.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3338.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3339.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3340.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3341.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3342.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-img_3343.jpg  

Google Adsense