PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-05-2017, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsailor1981 View Post
I really want to build this boat. I have been impressed by the skipjack for years. Please don't give up on this model
Not to worry. If I'm known for anything, it's my dogged persistence. Even if it leads to crashing and burning.

~~ Current Project: 1:100 Skipjack Kathryn ~~
~~ First Project: 1:250 Zeppelin LZ-17 Sachsen ~~
Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looks pretty good to me.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Still trundling along on this project. I might have some new pictures tomorrow.

In this picture of the real Kathryn ( http://www.lastskipjacks.com/images/...i_20150906.jpg ), notice the reefing points (?) on the sail? The 4 rows of little ropes that hang down on the surface of the mainsail. Am I correct in thinking that these would only be on one side of the sail? In this case on the starboard side. Or would there be a matching rope on the other side, too?

Pictures of skipjacks under sail aren't as frequent as I would like and I can't find any pictures of the same boat from both sides.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I think those reefing lines extend through a small hole in the sail so you can tie off so there would be a length of line on each side.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Yes, both sides. The sail is lowered to the boom to the desired row of reef points, then you pass each length of rope under the boom and tie them off to each other with a reef knot.
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 AM

Thanks SCEtoAUX and Bluenoser. I knew someone here would have the answer.

What follows are in-progress shots. I'm almost done with the hull. The railings are still MIA (I'm stalling!) and I need to run a strip along the bottom of the keel, add the bumper in back and the rudder.

The big cube and the obelisk shape admidship are the engine cover and winders. I haven't quite decided what to do with the winders. It's actually a fairly intricate little device which may be beyond my modeling skills. Maybe just a graphic representation... maybe not. It also looks like the engine and winders were removed quite frequently. I may make the working gear an option. At this point they're not attached to the model.

The stand is a simple affair of just three posts on a triangular base. I love the simple elegance of Abhovi's stands and wanted something similar. If I go full work boat mode I may add little wings to the base for the dredges to lay upon. The name plate will be aligned with the short edge of the base.

This morning I added the bowsprit, headrails, et al, and the capstan. Construction of the capstan was easier than I anticipated. It's just two small truncated cones on either end of a wee bit o' sprue and paint. I'm not good with fine details but apparently... my skill level is growing!

The sail is just a prototype. It ended up too large and I'm not satisfied with the graphics but I have decided to attach it to the mast with small paper hoops. What's shown in the picture was my experiment to see if it would work.

Enough chatter. On with the show!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
Looking good, can't wait to give it a try.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
From where I sit, that looks really good, nicely done.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:03 AM

I recently got to work a bit more on Kathryn: 'plating' the keel and adding the rudder. Is there a card modeling name for applying a 'skin' over a solid core? For example, the keel of this model is layered card, in this case 3mm thick. I didn't want to leave the cut edge visible, so I covered with a 3mm strip of card printed in the correct color. Seems like there should be a name for this.

The photos really highlight the gaps between the hull sides and the keel. Eventually I'll add a little paint to camouflage this but it's not that noticeable in real life. Especially since it's only visible if you're looking at the model upside down.

I next attempted to cut out some of the railing pieces. I'm not happy with these. I'm going to have to try some other railing techniques. I think I'll try glue-stiffened string. I may decide to forgo the railings entirely but I'm not quite there yet. If I go ahead with them, though, I do want to add them to the model before going on to the sails and rigging. Otherwise I imagine the sails will be in the way when installing the railings.

And finally my new favorite tool. While working through a magnifying stand helps me to cut more accurately, I frequently found that the short distance between the magnifier and the table was inconvenient (kept bumping my knife and tweezers on the stand) and it forced me to hunch over the desk. So I decided to try a visor. I'm glad I did. This visor from Carson Optics has four interchangeable lenses which easily flip up out of the way. What really impressed me, though, was the brightness of the LED light. The earlier magnifying stand also had an LED light but it was so weak as to be useless. So I didn't have much hope for the Carson light. Boy, was I wrong! A great investment. I think I paid US $26.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
Looking good. I just got a Midwest products Skipjack off of the EB site. Something to work on till this one is ready.
Google Adsense