PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-28-2017, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200

This is first build thread on this forum and I still learn how to use it, so please forgive me in case of stupid things may happen

I bought a model and laser cut ribs (also from Dom Bumagi)

Laser cut ribs ... .. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
What I can say: sure (maybe in mine one) there are places where carton is not completely burned through, maybe laser performance was too small.

After assembly, there was problem with width of the deck. Somewhere skeleton. Where was 1-2 mm difference but sometimes (specially in the back) the difference was 4mm (ribs 2-6 and few in the back).

I decided that body will be filled with a mounting foam. Due to that, the whole structure had to be strengthened. I did not wanted to cut the ribs on water line because it could occur too many bugs. That's why I fixed it with slats. The slats are placed in ribs 5 mm from the water line.
To make it enough precisely I created a template.

After foam evaporation, deck gluing, and the most commonly used putty, grinding, putty, grinding and grinding
Superstructures: this is more or less good. There are differences, but this can be solved.

And on last 4 pictures, actual situation
Attached Thumbnails
Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_3698.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_3706.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_3710.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_3717.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_3722.jpg  

Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_4302.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_4303.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_4307.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-dsc_4308.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Nice approach to construction. I will have to try this technique myself.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:49 AM

@shipbuild - if you have any question, just ask
Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
great looking build
Old 05-01-2017, 02:47 PM

Very small update - a lot of small parts finally fixed on superstructure main part.
Attached Thumbnails
Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-_dsc_4466.jpg   Hms rodney dom bumagi 1:200-_dsc_4468.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Growing, slowly but growing

Old 05-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 64.48 MB
You have an interesting model, had never seen the construction of Rodney.Good luck
Old 05-07-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTlion View Post
You have an interesting model, had never seen the construction of Rodney.Good luck
WTlion: so please feel comfortable and take a seat in first row

I made Rodney in 1:300 in '76 (over 40 years ago...) and it was one of the first models build (or first one - I don't remember now). So still I have a sentiment to this ship and model, I have it in 1:300 scale in 2 different prints (one the same I did in '76), but now I decided to build newest project in 1:200.

If you are interested in project, you can see details here: Link1; Link2

Project is not ideal, I know about some bugs, but I can't claim to much right now. If something serious arise, I ill comment here
Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 64.48 MB
Before setting up a model I usually research on others had assemble before. The English ships usually I see the Prince of Wales or Hood, but the rodney is a ship with a great history as well.
One question do you use a watercolor pen to paint the edges of the paper so they do not turn white?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:38 AM

WTlion, believe me, I made long research about other builds in the net. About 2 years ago I started to build other one from Fly Model (no 130). Unfortunately due to accident I had to give up and knowing, that new release comes, I waited for that. This is very new project, printed last year. In the internet you can find (as far as i know) 2 build reports and no one finished.

About the edges:
1. Underwater part is done out of mass dyed paper. It has to be done, because I found, that printed parts has different colours. In the project underwater part elements was printed on two different pages and unfortunately printing house could not keep the same colour for both. Quite common mistake.
2. Other parts --> Humbrol oil paints, 000 brush and extraction gasoline. First you have to choose proper colour of paint, then after cutting of the part just paint all cuts by this very small (000) brush. HERE you can see, how precise it can be. Gasoline just to clean the brush. BTW, before build all cards was painted with kapon. Its a kind of vanish before you start. It reduce number of glues you can use but very much increase resistance of the paper for damages. Additionally makes paper more rigid.
Google Adsense