PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-02-2017, 01:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
The Ghostship in the Baltics

Last year, when working on the whaling-fluit after a drawing by Nicolaes Witsen (see my thread: a 17th century Dutch fluit), I suddenly felt the urge for reasons of comparison to make another recently discovered fluit, which was located on the bottom of the Baltic, 120 meters deep. I had a few hours of footage shot by an ROV, but no measurements. There were also some drawings made by a Swedish archaeologist. The images from below were very misty and hard to interpret, but the ship was mostly intact, except for the fact that the mizzenmast had come loose when the hull hit the bottom and destroyed the aft part of the decks and interior.

The Ghostship in the Baltics-42962.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-bak7.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-knecht.jpg

It was a small vessel (about 90 feet) of a size the backbone of the Dutch fleet must have existed of and it appeared from dendrochonological research that it dated from about 1650. It was a challenge to reconstruct the shape of the hull and the layout of the missing aft part. The ship got its nickname 'ghost ship' from the carved knights behind the main mast, which in a sort of spooky way seemed to look up to the surface of the sea, 120 meters upwards.

The Ghostship in the Baltics-gubbargatan.jpg

We (my Belgium partner Rene Hendrickx, another forum friend Arjan Knor and me) started off by making a 3D representation of the wreck, so a lines plan could be produced.

The Ghostship in the Baltics-knipsel-1-kopie.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-knipsel-3.jpg

A quick set up was made, after which the project lingered as a result of other at that time more interesting projects and the surgery of my back, but slowly starting up again with building it seemed a good idea to finish this model first. Parts of the original carvings were recovered and one item showed what looked like a swan, which is why I placed a swan on the stern. The ship is pictured with counter braced fore topsail as if for some reason it is coming to a halt. Some activity on deck adds to the lively atmosphere of the model. I forgot to take pictures of the last part of construction, but there is not much difference from the other fluit I showed earlier.

The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_1.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_2.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_4.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_5.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_6.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_7.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_8.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_9.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_10.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_11.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_12.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_13.jpg The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_14.jpg

Finally my son Emiel created an image of the ship under heavy conditions, probably shortly before it went down.

The Ghostship in the Baltics-fluit_in_storm.jpg

I hope you like it.
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Great model. Love the added crew members to the model. Fantastic image of the ship at sea! Always enjoy your posts.

Fred
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Beautiful.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
Excellent craftsmanship as always, I love the sailing ships of past.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.39 MB
A fascinating thread and a very realistic portrayal of the ship at sea.
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
A wonderful build, and interesting references.

Thanks for sharing all this with us

Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Amazing build and ship !
Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Lovely model Ab! Loving the pic your son created at the end. It conveys an ominous something-really -bad-is-about-to-happen feel.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Amazing. Great work.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 05-04-2017, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Thank you all gentlemen for your kind words. I still have a lot to learn.
Maybe you also like a new episode of my small series on Dutch work horses...
Google Adsense