PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon

Hi all. This, if I finish it in time, is my entry in Toddlea's Free model contest.
This started as a free model of the North German Lloyd Line ship SS Kronprinzessen Cecelie. The KPC was a four stack Trans-Atlantic liner, built in 1906, which was impounded by the USA at the start of WWI. The US Army converted her to the troopship USAT Mount Vernon. After the war, Mount Vernon was mothballed in a Maryland shipyard for 20 years, until WWII broke out. She was offered to the British as a troopship, but the British declined due to her age. She was scrapped in 1940.

The model was drawn by Modelier Bogen around 1930. The model is available here:

Arbeitskreis Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus (AGK) e.V. - Kronprinzessin Cecilie - Bogendownload

And here's a Wikepedia article about the KPC:

SS Kronprinzessin Cecilie (1906) - Wikipedia

Attached pictures are online photos of the Bogen model of the KPC, not my ship. For my entry, I decided to build the ship as the Mount Vernon, in her WWI "dazzle" camoflage paint scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-jfs_cecilie_modell_4.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-jfs_cecilie_modell_6.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2017, 03:26 PM

These photos show the ship as Mount Vernon. So now I have port and starboard views of the scheme, but I will have to "guess" about the actual colors, based on research into what colors the US Navy used during WWI.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-photoww1-80mnusmountvernon1ns.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-mt-vernon-dazzle.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-h45760.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
At one point I considered the Kronprinzessen Cecelie for this contest.
But having so little experience in ships I dropped the idea.

Is great to see her built, and an interesting modification as the Mt Vernon.

I'll follow this

Last edited by Rubenandres77; 04-25-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:56 PM

I had the KPC downloaded and printed for some time, and finally started building it last fall. Right away it was obvious there were many errors: most obvious was the model was a v-hull, whereas the real ship was flat bottomed like the Olympic and Mauritania class ships. The scale was supposed to be 1/200, but I calculated it as about 1/350. This was probably because the original model was printed in Europe on European standard paper, and I printed the scan on US standard 8 1/2" X 11" card. The decks were different widths, which I was able to compensate somewhat. The siderails didn't fit right and looked terrible. At this point I gave up and stopped building.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-kpc-1.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 06:22 PM

Then Toddlea announced free model contest # 5:

Free Model Contest #5

And I thought I'd give it another try. By this time I had done some research on the KPC, and thought it would be interesting to build it as the Mount Vernon. I decided to correct the errors that I could. I thought it would be too difficult to restructure the hull, so I decided to go with it as a waterline. I started by reprinting the ship, then photocopying the scan onto blue paper. Then I cut out the hull, punched out the portholes, and flipped the parts over so the port side became the starboard, and starboard became port. Then I glued thin cardboard over the insides so what you see is a light blue hull with grey portholes. Incidentally, some of the portholes were in the wrong places, and the anchors were printed on. I matched the portholes to the actual photographs, and I plan to construct anchors at a later point. All of the decks were reinforced with cardboard, as I always do with my ships. And the siderails were reinforced with a backing of card stock. And I painted the dazzle camo as close as possible to the photographs, by counting portholes.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-vernon-printouts.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-vernon-hull-flats.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-hull-1.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-decks-left-right.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-decks-top-bottom.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2017, 06:45 PM

A large metal model of the KPC was painstakingly restored, and documented extremely well.

THE KRONPRINZESSIN CECILIE PROJECT - HOME

I'm using some of the photos from this restoration to add details to my ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-boat-deck.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-focsle-anchor-chain.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-accomodation-ladder.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-officer-qtrs.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-wheelhouse.jpg  

Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great work, Vince! That bridge structure looks really beautiful. I love ships of this era.

This one will look good alongside Mauretania.

Don
Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
have the basic liner.look forward to seeing how this comes out
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Great work, Vince! That bridge structure looks really beautiful. I love ships of this era.

This one will look good alongside Mauretania.

Don
Thanks Don. I agree about the bridge. The metal restoration is just amazing. My ship won't have anywhere near that much detail, but there is much to learn from it.

Last edited by VinceM; 04-27-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM

Like I said earlier, there were lots of errors in the model. I guess you could say they simplified the Sun Deck. The first photo is the officer's quarters from the metal model restoration discussed earlier. In the second photo, the foreground shows the officers quarters, located between funnels # 2 and 3, built as drawn on the Bogen model. The background shows my rebuilt quarters on the model.

The KPC had all of her cabins on the Sun Deck finished in a natural wood finish, teak or whatever. In the Bogen paper mode, they're red. As Mount Vernon, she was camouflaged, so I have to make a judgement call about the Sun Deck cabins. I reprinted the buff colored cabins from the lower promenade decks and used them to rebuild the Sun Deck cabins. I originally thought about making all of the deck surfaces blue, but I don't think aerial attack was a high priority during WWI so I left them wood tone.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-officer-qtrs.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-officer-cabin.jpg  
Google Adsense