PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-17-2017, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'

Projects not always work out the way I planned. Sometimes it is due to bad draughts, sometimes it’s caused by the limitations of the material I use and the scale, and sometimes it’s my own (lack of) craftsmanship. This is an example of three of those causes.

Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0181.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0182.jpg

There was nothing wrong with Chapman’s draught of what he calls a ‘schuit’ (Plate XLIX in Architectura Navalis Mercatoria, 1775). In Holland a schuit was actually a small local vessel of which the size and shape varied per region. The word indicated a function, more than a type. We would have called this vessel a ‘boeier’. I have some doubts about the ungainly shape of the cabin’s roof in Chapman's drawing, but that’s just a detail. There is nothing wrong with the plan.

Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0183.jpg

The problem started with the scale. Like my other paper models, this one was planned to be 1/77, for good comparison with other contemporary ship types.
This led to a hull with an overall length of only 11 cm. This appeared too small, at least with paper as material in combination with my clumsy old fingers (although I enjoyed painting Neptune towed by a sea horse on the 2 cm long leeboards).

Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0190.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0193.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0195.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0196.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0197.jpg

I made this model to fit with my other models and to be placed in a view of an old Dutch city, all of course Photoshopped by my son. But it appears that in contradiction to my other larger models, the illusion of reality could not be realized. It’s a cute little model if watched in my showcase, but in pictures the material shows it’s a model. Perhaps I could make the appearance crisper if I used plastic as a material for several parts of the construction, but that does not feel right.

Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-img_0198.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-schermafbeelding-2017-05-15-om-14.39.22.jpg

I would have liked to insert the boat in an (unfinished) picture like this, exchanging the vessel in the foreground for this luxurious little yacht, but in this case it won’t work.
Pity.

Oh yes, and here is some more (finished) artwork. Who said photography did not exist in the 17th century?

Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-4.-ijsselmeer_weer_4-kopie.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-galjoot.jpg Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-storm3b.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2017, 03:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Very well done Ab, compliments to your son for the photoshopping.

(Complimenten aan je zoon Ab, ziet er weer geweldig uit ! )
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great work as usual. One of these days I have to try to scratch build a ship. +1 to your son as well. The clouds and waves make the scenes very dramatic.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
I absolutely love the composite photo works. They are so well done and they really do have that look of the old "dutch master's" paintings from that golden era. I use some as my background setting on my work computer.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Ab, I wouldn't worry too much about "not realizing realism". The combination of your models and the photoshop artwork of your son result in a stunning composition that no one on this forum has achieved up so far. I think the 17th century painters of seascapes would be amazed if they could see this.

Groeten,
Erik
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Just for information: the distictive shape of the tower in the picture shows that this is Dordrecht, some ten miles upstream from Rotterdam. For tourists: there is a fantastic waterbus service from Rotterdam to Dordrecht, with great views of the very busy river.
I wonder what the original painting was that Abhovi's son used here?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A delightful series of images of the model and the paintings.

I always enjoy your beautiful and informative threads.

Don
Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Thank you all, and to speak with Milan Paulus: It's only paper. :-)

Diderick: Indeed the Dordrecht tower was used, next to some 15 other pictures of city walls, mills and houses. Of course Jan van Goyen (1596-1656) was the main inspirator for this particular picture. Van Goyen used more brown...

Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-512d1002aef450d38bbfe602eb3bc0442e35133fdde96b351b8a500b1946bf87.jpg
Old 05-18-2017, 02:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Little gem, in my opinion:-)) The images looks very realistic, too. Congratualations.
Your small boeier reminded me my first SMALL scratch I did 15 years ago.

Best
Tomek
Attached Thumbnails
Chapman's Dutch 'schuit'-duch7.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Sometimes it takes a bit more size to achieve a sense of realism. However, the schuit is charming and a real achievement for something only 11cm in length.

Do you use cloth for the sails? I've been struggling to create satisfactory sails for my skipjack. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The composite scenes leave me speechless.

~~ Current Project: 1:100 Skipjack Kathryn ~~
~~ First Project: 1:250 Zeppelin LZ-17 Sachsen ~~
Google Adsense