PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.93 MB
I just noticed that my pics didn't come up in my last post. Here they are.

This is a real bugbear with the Software on this site - once someone has replied to your last post you can no longer go back to Edit it .

Cheers, Danny
Attached Thumbnails
HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-masts-1-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-masts-2-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-masts-3-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-masts-4-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-masts-5-.jpg  

Old 06-04-2017, 12:33 AM

My next model won't arrive for a while (if it does at all ) so I'm rethinking how I rig the Boats. I've decided to do it the way it SHOULD be, with a proper block on the boat end of the tackle. I started by cutting two pieces of stock 0.5mm thick, sanding both edges at a 45 degree angle, and gluing them together to make the groove.

These blocks are only 1.5mm long. The large block is one of Syren Ship Models 1/8" blocks, the smallest they make. I tried unsuccessfully to make them from paper, but had too much trouble with it de-laminating even though I'd soaked the paper in CA glue.

6 down, 6 to go. They take me about 5 minutes each to make.

Cheers, Danny
Attached Thumbnails
HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-blocks-2-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-blocks-3-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-blocks-6-.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 04:30 AM

Knife, I had a look at Mosel. She is indeed an interesting little ship, and I may get it if the IJN Amatsukaze takes too long to arrive .

Cheers, Danny
Old 06-04-2017, 06:39 AM

It only took me 3 hours , but I've rigged the Gig (the smallest boat). The rest won't take anywhere near that long, as I've made all the blocks and worked out a much easier way of stropping them. Here are some pics of the gig on the davits. The rigging line is 2lb breaking strain fishing line, 0.13mm thick.

Cheers, Danny
Attached Thumbnails
HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-boats-8-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-boats-9-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-boats-10-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-boats-11-.jpg  

Last edited by Dan Vadas; 06-04-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:03 AM

I'm almost finished this ship. I've rigged the Anchor Cranes, the Boats, and the Masts. I made tiny eyebolts to rig the masts to the deck. The only things left to do are fit the two Flagpoles and make a Base to sit the model on.

Cheers, Danny
Attached Thumbnails
HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-anchor-crane-rigging.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-boat-rigging-2-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-boat-rigging-3-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-mast-rigging-7-.jpg   HMVS Cerberus - First Card Build-mast-rigging-8-.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2017, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Your build is outstanding! Clearly your previous modeling experience let you start pretty high up on the paper learning curve. I'm rather surprised, though, that you left in the solid areas between the oar handles. It jumps out to me given the clear attention to detail. But as you say, it's a learning exercise.

I was searching through some archive CDs the other day and discovered that I had save this model. It's an interesting one, especially given that there is a movement in Australia to preserve its remains, IIRC.

I may have missed it but how did you make the railings. (My personal bugaboo, right now.) Are they glue soaked thread?

~~ Current Project: 1:100 Skipjack Kathryn ~~
~~ First Project: 1:250 Zeppelin LZ-17 Sachsen ~~
Old 06-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Thanks Jeff,

Hmm .... you're right about the Oars, I might go back and fix them :D .

Quote:
I may have missed it but how did you make the railings. (My personal bugaboo, right now.) Are they glue soaked thread?
Afraid not, they're painted PE (generic). I didn't know about the "glue-soaked thread" trick until after I'd fitted them.

Cheers, Danny
Old 06-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Jeff,

I have had good success with the thread-and-glue technique using the templates that come with the Paper Shipwright kits. I like to using quilting thread, which has much less fuzz than regular sewing thread.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Thanks Chris.

Quote:
I like to using quilting thread, which has much less fuzz than regular sewing thread.
I'm familiar with Quilting thread - I used it for Line Serving on HMS Vulture.

Cheers, Danny
Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
your Cerberus is beautiful...and way ahead of mine!!!!
Google Adsense