PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-02-2017, 11:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
Currell Titanic (1:1200)

This is my third Ralph Currell model. My first completed paper model was the Currell Graf Zeppelin with the Currell & Erik Te Groen Concorde in second.

At the time of this posting, this build is about 2 months underway. In the future posts will move to be more contemporaneous. Like the Concorde build, I am busy and this is going to be a “slow and steady” project.

Basic information:
adhesive for assembly: Elmers white glue
adhesive used for lamination: 3M Super 77 spray adhesive
clear coat: rustoleum matte clear coat (applied to all printed pages)
printing: an old color laser
paper: Neenah 65 pound card stock, white
card stock used to laminate formers: an old “hanging” file folder

After printing, all parts sprayed with several coats of rustoleum matte clear coat. In the future I would like to experiment with an air brush for clear coating to see if I can get a finer mist and more uniform application.

The first photo shows the level of detail that Ralph packed into this model. The pen (my scoring tool) provides perspective on the finished size of the model. The shot of the bow also emphasizes the detail.

Per directions, formers are laminated onto old file folder stock using 3M 77 spray adhesive for a combined thickness of about 1mm. I put paper towel onto the over-spray areas so that they would not be tacky.

The lengthwise former is is cut out. (Twice after I failed to follow the directions and glued the ENTIRE lengthwise former back-to-back: not what the directions call for!).

The model starts to take shape as the lengthwise former is pinned down on a cork-board to develop the shape.

Next lateral formers are cut using a straight edge. I used particular care to be consistent with cutting and just removing the part outlines.

The hull starts to take shape as the lateral formers are dry fit.

In then next post, I will move onto glueing the lateral formers!
Attached Thumbnails
Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-1.jpg   Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-2.jpg   Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-3.jpg   Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-4.jpg   Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-5.jpg  

Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-6.jpg   Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-7.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2017, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 168.46 MB
I really like the way you suspend the model from the ceiling.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I haven't built it yet, as ships are not my forte. But the kit looks very nice.
Your build has started well Looking forward for the rest!!

Old 07-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Romfolmar, it's shaping up to be an excellent build of, it would appear, the Australian version...

Derek
Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM

I am unsure why the photos are previewing upside down; they seem to open in the correct orientation. I took the pictures on an iphone, and resized them in Photoshop. I wonder if something in that process caused it.
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 PM

Lateral formers are glued in place and some weight applied to prevent the model from twisting while drying.

When I laminated the formers I didn't notice that the metal clip inside the file folder came close to some of the parts. With a bit of effort I was able to salvage all of my parts and keep moving.

In image 9, the stern and poop deck/forecastle are attached. It is fun to see the characteristic "look" of the ship develop.

I think the fitting the hull surface will be the most challenging part of this build and will a project for another day! I expect to learn a lot in the process.

I am noticing that indeed: all of the images are showing as upside down preview. But when you click on them they appear "right side" up. Odd. On with the "Australian" version.
Attached Thumbnails
Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-7.jpg   Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-8.jpg   Currell Titanic (1:1200)-titanic-9.jpg  
Old 05-19-2018, 06:15 PM

Wow! Its been roughly a year since I last posted on this project. How time goes by.

I cut and assembled the hull pieces, but was puzzled that it seemed that the hull sides were longer than then length-wise former.

I didn't have much time to sort it out, but recently had some time to study the problem. After measuring, it became clear that the culprit was the length-wise former. I made mistakes cutting the part out originally, and used the same part from another printing of the parts in my build. Whatever print setting I used when I printed the length-wise former seems to have "compressed" the length of the part. Thus, the skeleton is shorter than the hull siding. Since I was confident and really glued the parts in, I will be taking this as a lesson learned to print all of my extras at the get-go, and make sure that my print settings are correct at the outset.

Today I ran a new printing "scaled to fit" (the original PDF) on 11x17 paper. Not only will the printed model be a nice bit larger, but at the larger size, the details in Ralph's PDFs (like the ship name on the counter and bow of the ship) are much clearer. I am clear coating today, and off to the races again!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanX View Post
Wow! Its been roughly a year since I last posted on this project. How time goes by.

I cut and assembled the hull pieces, but was puzzled that it seemed that the hull sides were longer than then length-wise former.

I didn't have much time to sort it out, but recently had some time to study the problem. After measuring, it became clear that the culprit was the length-wise former. I made mistakes cutting the part out originally, and used the same part from another printing of the parts in my build. Whatever print setting I used when I printed the length-wise former seems to have "compressed" the length of the part. Thus, the skeleton is shorter than the hull siding. Since I was confident and really glued the parts in, I will be taking this as a lesson learned to print all of my extras at the get-go, and make sure that my print settings are correct at the outset.

Today I ran a new printing "scaled to fit" (the original PDF) on 11x17 paper. Not only will the printed model be a nice bit larger, but at the larger size, the details in Ralph's PDFs (like the ship name on the counter and bow of the ship) are much clearer. I am clear coating today, and off to the races again!
... and we, certanly, are here looking this project!! Good luck, friend!

Tags
currell, titanic