PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-16-2017, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Woolley View Post
I saw that too. I saw it in a Facebook page.
I saw both Canberra and Adelaide tied up in Sydney Harbour a couple of weeks ago. They look pretty impressive in real life.
i recall they were going to buy invincible but british pulled out of the deal as they needed her for falklands campaign. canberra looks good though
anyways enough distractions from your subject matter

Last edited by herky; 07-16-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
I don't have much to show, but it took a good deal of research and head scratching to get this far. I have finally settled on a plan for the deck. I am
Making it as it was when it was retired in the early eighties. I only ever saw it once. I was on a school excursion to the state art gallery of New South Wales. It is across a bay from the main Naval base in Sydney. From a window in the library I got an excellent view of the Melbourne. It was quite sad as I knew it's career was over.
My original drawing just didn't look right, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I came across other drawings on the internet, including some RAN blue prints of the front and rear of the deck. I couldn't find the middle part. Anyhow on my original drawings the overhang was about 10mm to far forward and the island was about 10mm too far back. Combined, it made the front of the deck look too long. I had already made a hybrid plan using two different drawings to correct some errors at the rear of the deck. If I had found the drawings I used earlier it would have saved a lot of time. But I did enjoy the time spent solving the problem, and learnt a great deal about the differences between all the ships of the Colossus and Majestic class.
Hopefully I can start construction soon.
In the picture below the top deck is from Barry's Colossus, the middle is the one I will use and the bottom is the hybrid with the incorrect overhangs.
Attached Thumbnails
HMAS Melbourne R21-img_7739.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great story of research, Robert!

This has me thinking. HMS Triumph, which was the first British carrier to participate in the Korean War (and participated in the first air strikes against North Korea) was also Colossus class carrier). I have long desired to build 1/48 models of the aircraft that constituted the Triumph Air Group 13 (Seafire 47, Firefly I, and Sea Otter). I have the models, all in the right markings. I envision a display with a model of Triumph based on Barry's Colossus with the three aircraft displayed below the carrier.

Great vision, but at my rate of building and the number of other projects in the queue, I do think it will come to pass in this life.

So instead, I will be inspired by your research and build.

Don
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
That would be a fine display Don. I looked at the Wikipedia entry on the Triumph and it made for fascinating reading. Sea fires being shot down by B29s because they looked like Yak 9s was very interesting.I knew a bit about HMAS Sydney during the Korean War but not the British carriers.
In the late eighties there was a restored RAN Firefly doing the air show circuit, along with a RAN Sea Fury. It was a magnificent machine to watch.
And finally I did not know Sea Otters were still in service after WW2. I learn so much through this hobby.

Robert
Old 07-18-2017, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Robert -

At least two Sea Otters served aboard Triumph. The one that was aboard during the early Korean War operations was JM960, one of a batch of Sea Otters built by Saunders-Roe. It was nicknamed "Neptune's Daughter." This image of the aircraft is from an article about the Triumph's initial Korean War service: Tony O'Toole, "The Forgotten Cruise," Model Aircraft Monthly, September 2007: 70-75. The aircraft is in the four-tone temperate sea scheme with sky undersides. I am in the process of trying to obtain a better image of the aircraft from the Imperial War Museum.

Sometime after August 1950, the Sea Otters were replaced by Sikorsky Dragonflies.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
HMAS Melbourne R21-sea-otter-hms-triumph-jm960.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2017, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Robert -

At least two Sea Otters served aboard Triumph. The one that was aboard during the early Korean War operations was JM960, one of a batch of Sea Otters built by Saunders-Roe. It was nicknamed "Neptune's Daughter." This image of the aircraft is from an article about the Triumph's initial Korean War service: Tony O'Toole, "The Forgotten Cruise," Model Aircraft Monthly, September 2007: 70-75. The aircraft is in the four-tone temperate sea scheme with sky undersides. I am in the process of trying to obtain a better image of the aircraft from the Imperial War Museum.

Sometime after August 1950, the Sea Otters were replaced by Sikorsky Dragonflies.

Don
triumph was based in singapore for years in the 60s as a repair ship