PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
HMAS Melbourne R21

Hi all, I have just purchased Barry's HMS Colossus over at Ecardmodels. I intend to convert it to HMAS Melbourne, which will require extensive scratch building. I hope to start next weekend.
Has anyone made this model before? I will most likely be only using the hull, but would be interested in any experiences anyone has had with this model.

Robert

Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
good luck with that.will watch with interest.another carrier model is always good to see.i have colossus but have never started her.my father served on board hms glory as royal marines

Last edited by herky; 07-05-2017 at 03:19 AM. Reason: add ons
Old 07-05-2017, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A worthy project. Good to see one of Barry's ship models being built. It will be interesting to see how you add the canted deck.

Don
Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the interest Herky and Don.
I made a start on the flight deck and immediately ran into a problem. I decided to scale a three view drawing from Aircraft Carriers by Roger Chesneau to fit the deck to the width of the hull of the Colossus. The Colossus class flight deck was a little wider than the Majestic class, to which the Melbourne belongs, but not enough to make too much of a difference.But as you can see in the picture, it came out much longer than The Colossus deck. The drawing I am
Using agrees with some others I have found on the net, but it was hard to figure out what scale they were as I wasn't sure where the Melbourne flight deck measurements I had were taken.
I reduced the length to 84%, but then it didn't look right. I finally did what I should have done first. I compared the model Colossus deck measurements to the real measurements. It is the correct length, but about 1cm too wide if my calculations are correct.
So now I am not sure if Barry's model is going to be of much use to me. The too large Melbourne flight deck is very close to 1/300 scale. I might make it at that scale instead,as I have to scratch build most of it anyhow. And it will be easier to make the air wing in 1/300.
On the other hand I spent $9 on the Colossus, and I don't want that to go to waste. So maybe I can tweak the Colossus parts to fit. Whatever way Inchiose, it is all part of the fun.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
HMAS Melbourne R21-img_7724.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Looks like you have taken on a formidable and colossal project, Robert. You must have been furious to discover these discrepancies. It is a powerful challenge, but you are courageous, indomitable, and implacable, not to mention indefatigable, and will triumph over the terrible problems. In the end, your model will be glorious, majestic, and illustrious, and you will have the glory of it as it sails on an imaginary ocean.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2017, 02:43 PM

Thank you for your short theseus on my project Don. Encouragement like that is a bulwark against giving up. I will tackle this venerable ship with a vengeance like a warrior now. I will need an eagle eye to sort out the details from plans and pictures. I hope I don't take as long as it took Noah to build the ark.Royal Australia navy carriers are few and far between so I look forward to this project. Anyhow albion with it now. See you later.

Robert

PS, my wife is supportive of my hobbies, but every time she sees a new model, she says haven't you already made that? But I can understand her point of view. She collects hand bags, and they all look the same to me. If she bought a Hermes bag, it would look just the same to me as a cheap one. Not that she could afford one. Only people like Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales can afford them.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Loud sustained enthusiastic applause!

Trying to fit in all the aircraft carrier names is like pursuing a unicorn.

Don
Old 07-11-2017, 04:26 PM

Trying to fit the first flush deck carrier in is a real albatross around my neck Don!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Love it, love it, love it Robert. Excellent job!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Thanks Elliot, but all credit to Don for having the audacity to start the ball rolling
Google Adsense