PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-19-2017, 11:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.16 MB
Gremir Models USS Selfridge 1:200

Howdy Folks!
This is my first time posting here so I thought I should introduce myself. Im a long time model builder from about as far west as ya can get in the State of Wv and NOT be in Kentucky. I've been building models in some form for about 40 years. Most of my models are af the model railroad variety, but I do love sci-fi planes and tanks too. I tell folks my hobby is model building...some fly, some run on rails and some just sit on shelves.

I actually made an abortive start into paper models about 10 years ago, then got sidetracked. I got interested again thanks to Clever Models excellent structure models and textures, that led me here a month or so ago, and I've been lurking ever since.

I have decided I wanna do a large 1:200 Battleship well prolly more than one Missouri, Arizona, and of course West Virginia (both pre and post Pearl Harbor) are on my list. PAdres USS Missouri build is one of my favorites, and I learned a lot from Micheal Mash's USS Iowa BB04 threads as well as Thales excution of the USS San Franciso. Lotsa good stuff there.....

I thought though it might be prudent to begin with a less ambitious model so I decided on the Gremir USS Selfridge. I have to say Mike Krol is a wonder to work with, not only did he help me around some printer issues he actually figured out that I had bought this model 10 years ( and 3 computers) ago. He set me up again and refunded my payment....That my friends is customer service...and I am sure to purchase more downloadable goodness.

I plan on asking lots of questions and please I need the criticism, I don;t wanna re invent the wheel just end up with a fairly nice little DD. So without further adoo lets get it started....... I laminated the frame sheets to Bristolboard using Scotch 77 yep great stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
Gremir Models USS Selfridge 1:200-selfridge001.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2017, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Welcome, will watch your build with interest!

Wyvern
Old 08-20-2017, 12:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
great to see another ship builder,welcome
Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
great choice and start. Mike at Gremir has only super quality kits so parts should fit just so. we are standing by with interest and you came to the right bunch for critique and help...
Old 08-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.16 MB
I began cutting her keel today, I have a lil Microlux jigsaw that is just dandy for cutting bristol board, left some fuzzy edges that I needed to sand down, but other than that it was fine. I have determined that the bristolbord I'm usings is just a tad bit thicker than the kerf called for in the kit so I'm thinking I might need to thin down the vertical parts here so that theres not a gapping issue at her freeboard?

Also while cleaning up the shipyard to get this project underweigh, I found these guns I made 10 years ago when I had the kit the first time. I was at the time scratchbuilding the Samual B Roberts, and intedned to get a Gambier Bay to go with it. I was happy to see them, but I think I can do better!
Attached Thumbnails
Gremir Models USS Selfridge 1:200-selfridge002.jpg   Gremir Models USS Selfridge 1:200-guns10yo.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i have the pro-model version of this to do.dd-357.halinski have a graet gambier bay you should tale a look at
Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
"Nice guns" they look very good for work done in the past, you got the talents, keep the pics coming.