PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Build Thames Barge 1820

Dear Friends:
Sir Gary came through, Find the PDF in our Downloads section
I printed it out onto 110 index card stock 8 1/2 in by 11in set the print to None for scale so it did print onto US card stock full size the last page is the sails and I printed that page on to 15 pound copy paper. Note that Gary designed the sails to fold over and glue so that one does not have to print two sided, It would be best if you find the thinnest paper to print the sails on. This way of doing sails will make it easy to shape the sails as you glue them. I am taking Pictures of the process of the build. there is an other thread called Thames Barge 1820 that has the three viewdrawing and drawing painting and photos that Gary used in the design process. Photos will follow.
Enjoy,
Miles
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2017, 02:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
I'll be watching with great interest, hope she goes together well
Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
"... Find the PDF in our Downloads section...."
Did I miss something, as I don't see a download section: would you kindly enlighten me, Miles? I love Thames barges, can still remember them at Greenhithe in my youth now sadly many years behind me
Cliff
Old 08-20-2017, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Herbert View Post
"... Find the PDF in our Downloads section...."
Did I miss something, as I don't see a download section: would you kindly enlighten me, Miles? I love Thames barges, can still remember them at Greenhithe in my youth now sadly many years behind me
Cliff
Its in the ships and maritime section, look at the top right of the page and you should see "home" "forum" "gallery" "download" and "links" buttons

Last edited by GaryPilsworth; 08-20-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: adding extra text
Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Cliff - look at the tabs at the top of this page. Fourth tab along- "Downloads".

--------------------------------------------

Miles, this is such an ugly and improbable boat! In fact, it almost looks unworkable as a vessel.

Nothing like the later Thames Barges which have such lovely lines to the hull, especially to the rear. I was looking at some a few weeks and was quite taken by their elegance.

I have hunted high and low for a paper model of these vessels but cannot find one, apart from the Micromodels one which I already have (and have never ever seen made up). HMV do a Norfolk Wherry but that's not quite the same thing!

Anyone know of any other paper model kits?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 AM

Dear Kevin:
I think that it is a wonderful Dumpy Little Boat, Seams like everything else in life The If it was bigger it would carry more less trips more money, so by the time you get to the 1860's they have evolved, to long and sleek.
Dear Cliff:
If you are still having problems finding the PDF Private message me with your E-mail and I will help you out.
Dear Everyone:
Having problems with Iphone Pictures to computer, I am taking lots of photos of the build, just can't get them to the thread yet. I am up to part #4 If you haven't noted look at the name of the Boat on the stern. Part #2 is missing score ticks on two of the sides. and part #3 the coal when folded has to mound up to fit into part #2
Miles
I find my self looking more and more on Small watercraft
Old 08-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Dear Friends:
Picture time, start with all sheets printed then on part one I went and scored the lines between the deck planking, Note on part two I measured and put score marks on the other two flaps, I made up part three but I have some left over coal dust that I collected several years ago for the coal barge From Hathaway so I may just use the real stuff in the hold. hope pictures are all right side up. Am now trying to mate deck to hull that will be next set of photos
Enjoy,
Miles
Attached Thumbnails
Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0935.jpg   Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0936.jpg   Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0937.jpg   Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0940.jpg   Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0941.jpg  

Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0944.jpg   Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0952.jpg   Build Thames Barge 1820-img_0961.jpg  
Old 08-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great start, Miles!

I have a photograph of a Thames barge above my desk. Never sailed on one, though.

Don
Old 08-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Image of Thames Barge

Miles - Here is the image of a Thames barge that has been over my desk/workbench for many years in between an image of Mount Baekdu on the border between Korea and China and an image of a snowy Manhattan street in 1952. Just pretty images I like to look at, including my now-22-year-old grandson at the helm of a Delaware Bay oyster schooner when he was five-years-old, an Edward Hopper painting, and various images of Lil and my daughters.

Looking forward to seeing more on your Thames barge.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Build Thames Barge 1820-boose_desk_170828.jpg   Build Thames Barge 1820-boose_desk_170828_thames_barge.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 05:30 AM

Dear Don:
I think that the 1820 one should be nicknamed "Tubby" I am in the way of gluing deck to Hull Boy it is short and wide will have more Pictures.
Enjoy,
Miles
Google Adsense