PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.74 MB
Good start, I will follow this one too. I also like working in cardboard.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Nice work Christian. The ship already slowly takes shape. There's a member on this forum, Abhovi, who also builds 17th century sailing ships. Perhaps you have noticed before. Have you ever tried Tamiya acrylic paints? I guess they must be similar to the ones you are using.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Hi Erik,

I've had contact with Abhovi. I am more specialized in English ships of the second half of the 18. century. I know Tamiy colors. I use them for styrene models with the airbrush. It's very difficult to paint these colors with a brush.

Leiden is not far away from Gemeente Haarlemmermeer, where I live in the moment.

in the shipyard: Papegojan, 1/72 of Model Shipyard
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Construction of the framework - Part 3

Next, the stern was completed and all visible edges of the frames were dyed black. With this little trick I can easily recognize when strapping the hull that I do not sand too much away.

To make sure that I do not have any surprise following the building stages, I check every detail, if an important step is not shown in the instructions. Here I realized that I should paint the lower cover part and the edges of the windows and doors before installing the following parts to avoid white spots. It would be nice if the building instructions would point to these things.

It's really difficult to built a model without wood fore me
In my first attempt with cardboard, I had glued the thin layer of paper in the kit directly onto the sides. This procedure has led to sinking points, spackles, even more sink points and a lot frustration.

To avoid the problems, I started to fill the gaps between the frames with balsawood. First, perpendicular parts are glued in and then the remaining gap filled with horizontal parts. The vertical parts ensure that the ribs can not bend anymore.

With a similar approach I have very good experiences with wood models. If everything works, I will not have to fatten the hull or even very little.
Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-016.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-014.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-017.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-018.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-019.jpg  

Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Wow, tough job. Some builders use the same technique for filling up the wings of an airplane due the same problem.

So you stay in the Haarlemmermeer? I actuallly live in Roelofarendsveen, which is even closer to your area than Leiden. Small world. At the moment I work with German contractors and their Dutch is better than my German....

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2017, 10:29 PM

Thanks Erik

Yes the world is small. I work for my German company on a big Infrastructure project in Amsterdam. In the moment I am learning dutch. I am impressed how good the German of much of my Dutch colleagues is.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:01 AM

Construction of the framework - Part 4

Meanwhile, I have completed filling the lower framework.

Next, I will fill the next layer. Here I have to check the correct seat of the frames with the lower deck.

And then I'm happy if I can continue with the actual construction of the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-021.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-022.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-023.jpg  

Old 09-24-2017, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello friend, looks ship shape. By applying the balsa you have constructed the hull to give her the complete shape as if building a solid hull kit. Are you going to cover this with the card that does this or go onto the planking. One thing to consider is since made of card, over time while still in the box, the card can shrink ever so slightly. This is apparent during construction and Parts do not match. Also you will run across planking strips that can run short! Most excellent work so far.
Rick
Old 09-24-2017, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Very good work on shaping the hull using the balsa wood.

Many years ago there was a ship model of a coastal freighter called Emiliana that had a hull shaped by laminating multiple layers of card together that were sanded to get the smooth shape of the hull. There were registration holes in each of the layers that a pin was pushed through to help keep the layers aligned.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanks Rick and SCEtoAUX.

Quote:
Are you going to cover this with the card that does this or go onto the planking.
After filling and sanding, I will continue with the original build, this meas that I will add all three layers of the kit.

Google Adsense