PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-08-2017, 04:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
During the past weeks I travelled a lot during my appartements, so I need a lot more time to finish the filling of the hull. But finally it was done.

Then I completely sanded the hull. The first picture is unfortunately somewhat out of focus. The starboard side (in the photo on the left) shows the finished hull and the backboard side the raw state.

Before moving on to the paper, I will smooth and sand the hull in order to compensate for the transitions on the bow and stern.

Conclusion:
I will use the same technic for my next paper models, because I think that I get a fine result. I will change the wood to Abachi and prepare the steps before glueing the framwwork together.
The small guides on the flanges for aligning the decks interfere with sanding. Since they are not really needed after filling, they can also be cut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-024.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-025.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-027.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-028.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-029.jpg  

in the shipyard: Papegojan, 1/72 of Model Shipyard
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice to see such a good job!

Best
Tomek
Old 10-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Hello Christian,

Nice to see your Papegojan build here. I have only completed the Shipyard 1/96-scale HMS Alert and started on their 1/96-scale HMS Mercury. I've been eying the Papegojan kit for a long time, and was very temped to buy it before starting HMS Mercury.

Coming from wooden ship modeling myself, I am interested to see how you tackle this build.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 PM

Thanks very much, Tommy and Clare. I have also the 1/72 Alert in my stock This and Le Coureur should be my next build.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Such a different building technique and required skills than compared to airplanes or trains. Fascinating!

Erik
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2017, 01:07 AM

After a last sanding I tried to go back to paper model build.

I glued the first layer of the decks on the hull.

At the stem I found a mistake in my model. The deck part did not fit to the prepared hull. I don't know the reason for the mistake. Perhaps I worked not accurate enough.

But this doesn't matter, I have to fix it.
First I glued stripes of paper under the deck on the hull. Then I filled and sanded the bow different times until I was satisfied with the result.

Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-031.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-032.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-033.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-034.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-035.jpg  

Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-036.jpg  

Old 10-29-2017, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Christian, slight misfits always happen, it's not always a matter of mistake or inaccuracy at the builders' end! I'd say you work very accurately and your build is very interesting to follow along.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 10-29-2017, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The hull looks ok.
I rather prefer to reduce the hull contour at the deck level, than to widen it. Then I have longer planks for reserve. But as far as I remember this model is designed very well, so it will be ok.
Waiting for the next pictures.

Best
Tomek
Old 10-29-2017, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Hello Christian,

Coming from a wooden ship model background, I find your hull looks especially fine!

If I understand the problem you ran into, the deck seems slightly oversized in comparison to the hull. This makes perfect sense to me, as the hull you created is flush with the frames, but the frames are normally covered by a layer of card stock. Since you're not using that layer, you have to build up your hull slightly.

Later, I suspect you may find that if you use the kit provided plank covering, it may just be a tad too large, but it should be easy enough to trim the planking to fit, if needed.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 11-26-2017, 02:26 AM

It was time to make a cardboard hull from my cardboard - balsa wood hull. I glued the first layer of the original planking of the model on my model.

Next it was possible to glue the previous decks on.

Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-037.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-038.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-039.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-040.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-041.jpg  

Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-042.jpg  

Google Adsense