PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard

Preliminary remarks

According to the information on Shipyard's website, the Papegojan was a Dutch-built ship, which was bought in 1623 by Sweden. In 1627 she took part in the naval battle of Oliwa in the Gdansk Bay.

I did not find any further information about the original on a short search on the Internet. Since my first attempt to build a historical ship model from paper failed a few years ago, I will focus less on the historical accuracy than on the construction and on the new material paper / cardboard.

A review of the kit can be found on Modellmarine.

I do not know how building instructions are looking normally by cardboard models, the present I am finding little succeeded not say deficient. Especially for beginners in the hobby - like me - many questions remain open. Some construction sections are not described at all and one is wondering how the builders have gone ahead. The information on the rigging is absolutely inadequate. Here the modeler have to look for additional information to avoid frustration. In my collection are some plans of Dutch ships of the era which I can consult.

in the shipyard: Papegojan, 1/72 of Model Shipyard
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Construction of the framework

After completing some color tests for painting the hull, I started to build the framework.
I can not understand, why some frame are gluead together by two parts. To make it easier for me to work, I built a small jig from balsa wood to align the components.

In all places where a view of the frame can be possible later, I painted the frame with acrylic paint black.
The last two pictures show the current status of the frame:

Old 09-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Christian,
I will watch your building process with pleasure.
Shipyard's models are not the simplest ones, but you are right about the instruction: they could give more details. There are only pictures and sometimes written instructions would be more helpful.

At this stage remember to keep symmetry of the frames (obvious:-)). When you add decks, before covering the hull, use sandpaper to give correct angles to the frames, especially at the stem and stern section.

Good luck
Tomek
Old 09-10-2017, 01:41 AM

Hi Tomek,

thanks for your interest. I will fill the hull with balsa wood. It's a lot of work, but I've seen a lot of card model pictures with "stressed skin", which I like to avoid. With this I hope it's also easier to shape the frames.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:46 PM

Will be watching this one.
Rick
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Good start.Really interested in the build.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Yep, I will follow this one too. I like the shape of these old ships, very elegant. Am very curious how you will go about the rigging and sails of your Parrot. In any case, you made a very good start Christian. Good luck with this project!

Cheers,
Erik
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 AM

Thank's very much, Rick, Douglas and Erik

Painting the decks

I like to present my technique for painting the model with acrylic and oil colors. I do not use the colors, which are included in the kit, but acrylic and oil paints from Schmincke - colors from other manufacturers including the colors included in the kit should work the same; I use the colors of this manufacturer for years and can therefore estimate the dilution well.
Since areas where oil paint is used are not adhered to later, they are tapered with Tamiya Tape (from the plastic model building area). Usually, this can be removed from paper residue-free - but this time it hasn't worked. I suspect that water or dilution has dissolved the upper paper layer. Since a different component is glued later, the error is not a problem.

First of all, the deck is painted glazed with acrylic paint sand (Schmincke 23660). After drying - the paint needs only a few minutes; If you are in a hurry, you can use a hair-drier to help you- the decks are once again painted with a very dilute acrylic color Umbra natur (Schmincke 13677).

In the last step the decks are painted with dilute oil paint Umbra natural light (Schmincke Mussini 670). I use a short-haired brush to keep the "grain" visible. In this step it is important always to paint in the longitudinal direction of the planking. If a spot falls too dark, the oil color can be carefully dissolved with a little thinner (Schmicke Diluent N) and further oil colors removed. The next picture shows the finished painted decks

The effect of the painting can be seen most easily on the model. For this I separated the three decks from the sheet and laid these on the frames. A great advantage of paper compared to plastic is the significantly shorter drying time of the colors.

P.S. I need around 1.5 hours for the painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-007.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-009.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-010.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-011.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-013.jpg  

Last edited by Holzwurm; 09-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:37 PM

Nice job. Careful and elaborated.
Did you try to add some greyish to make decks less vivid, more worn-out and faded by the sun?

Best
Tomek
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Hi Tomek,

thanks. I did not test this. It's my first paper model. So I try to do things simple.
I have an idea for an following project, if I can complete this model. There I will give your idea a try.

Google Adsense