PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-14-2017, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
USS Arizona - Digital Navy

Hello Everyone,
It is with great trepidation that I start this thread on my build of Digital Navy's USS Arizona. This project is already 19 months old and as you see from my pictures I am not that far into it. It took me 9 months to get the courage to printout the plans and it has taken me 10 more months to finish the internal hull frame work. I was gifted this model by one of our fine members as motivation to join the ship building realm. The subject matter needs no introduction. I could not hope to say anything new that has not already been said about this Ship. Hopefully I will find the time and motivation to move this build forward at a quicker pace in the upcoming months.

I used 2mm Balsa wood for the main hull former as I couldn't find a piece of cardboard long enough and I didn't want a joint in the middle to act as a weak spot. I think the lower frame I went a little to think on the cross pieces as I had to do a lot of cutting to make the joints fit correctly.

I started the hull plating last night and do not have photos of that yet. If anyone has insight as to how to keep them from waving, I am all ears.

Thank you for checking in. Comments and instructional critiques welcome.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arizona - Digital Navy-arizona2.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-arizona5.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-arizona6.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-arizona7.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-arizona8.jpg  

Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad to see that you are undertaking this project. Everything looks shipshape so far.

The balsa should provide for a smooth hull, although as evidence that full-sized ships are not immune from waving hull plating, I submit this image of the Liberty Ship SS John W. Brown, aboard which I had the pleasure to travel on the Chesapeake Bay last Saturday. Of course, armored hulls may be somewhat less susceptible to this sort of dishing.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arizona - Digital Navy-170909_john_brown_01.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Total Downloaded: 0
I am learning from your technique to improve my work. I will follow your thread.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
I built the near sister Oklahoma using more or less the same techniques, it's posted here.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will try to keep things rolling and hopefully I will learn a few things along the way.

Don, Thanks for the visual. It makes me feel a little better, but I think the heavier plate on a Battleship was a little less prone to waves.

Here are couple of photos from my first few bottom plates. I am wondering if I printed them on too thin of paper. Perhaps the side plates will go on slightly thicker stock to provide some rigidity.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arizona - Digital Navy-arizona10.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-arizona11.jpg  
Old 09-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Will be watching this one. This kit builds into a very nice representation of the Grand Ole Girl.
Rick
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Thanks Rick. I hope I can do this kit justice.

Sorry no pictures for this post. I printed the bottom out on slightly thicker stock and it definitely helped the "waving" i was experiencing earlier. I will post pictures when I get further along the bottom. Now I have to decide if I just overlay the thinner sections or cut them out and replate with the thicker material.
Darren
Old 09-21-2017, 02:37 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I hope you enjoy your "Arizona".
Digital Navy used to offer 2 versions, the original and then later an enhanced version.
Maybe they still do. But my second project as a paper modeler was the original version.
I learned an awful lot about modeling with that ship, and it took me three years.
I'll follow along with your work.
Mike
Old 09-21-2017, 03:58 PM

Thank you Mike,
Any advice or pointers you want to give during my build feel free to do so. You are a master of ships.
Darren
Old 09-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Hello Everyone,
Was able to spend a bit of time last night on the plates. It definately helped moving to a slightly thicker stock. If you look at my pictures from earlier and compare them with these you will note the lack of "waving" on these plates. I was happy with the compound curving that is necessary as you get to the bow. I will, at some point, decide if I am ok with the seams or if I should fill, sand, paint and repeat as necessary.

I also attached a photo of the construction page from my USS Arizona book. I noted that the construction started right around the time that Europe exploded into WW1.

Thanks for checking in. Comments and advice is welcome.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az1.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az2.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az3.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az4.jpg