PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-04-2017, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
I've used balsa a lot in past builds, the key to it is warping. I found if I laminate paper to both side of the sheet it is controlled better. It also cuts much cleaner since paper backing prevents splintering. Recently I have used balsa to fill between the hull formers which I then sand to great success. I show the process is my recent cruiser builds.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Paper Fan: I will check out your builds for technique. I did laminate the balsa between 2 layers of cardstock so that should help with any warping?

Hello Everyone else,

Small progress over the past few days. I finished up 1 side and am mostly done with the other side. I thought it looked good until I saw the photos. Pictures don't lie. My seams need work. I still love the lines of this ship.
Overall I am finding a rhythm in the build. A few minutes here and there is allowing me to move forward. Thanks for checking in.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az4.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az3.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az2.jpg   USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az1.jpg  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 AM

It helps with warping because it wants to shrink from both sides. In addition you can bend the parts back a little better without cracking the wood with paper on both sides. I only ever use this technique on kits I have without laser cut frames and only ever on the main frames and primary deck.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Hello Everyone,
This is a follow up to my post #11 "The good, The Bad and the ugly". I decided to put a 2nd layer over the 1st offending layer to try and make it more presentable. Now rivet counters, please look away as I scaled the pieces up to 102%. I wanted to make sure that I had enough material to cover the seams and figured I could trim away any excess. The photo is targeting "the bad" which was the bow. I am really happy the way the 2nd run turned out. Now on to "the Ugly" and if I can fix that I will be very happy. I went from being disappointed with my results to being very pleased. I will post photos no matter what. Thanks everyone for checking in.
Darren
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arizona - Digital Navy-az5.jpg  
Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 AM

Major improvment, well done.
Google Adsense