PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
One modification I will make is to prepare the masts and yards from wood. Not easy to make them from card.[/QUOTE]

Try using industrial wooden cotton swaps. You can insert them into a dremel moto tool and chuck on the wood. Then while guiding the tip of the stick will 220 grit sand paper, turn on the moto tool and start tapering. Process works good. I did my Titanic masts this way, stained and varnished the end product.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.25 MB
Some of the slipway timbers used where the GE was built on the Isle of Dogs in London are still visible. They are now a protected site.

David Hathaway
Old 08-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llaut Mallorquin View Post
Hello
Thank you for your visitand comments, beachead and rgmarine,
I already have the rig ready and I hope to finish it shortly
Best regards.
Well, time to show us your result if the model is already ready that is !!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
All the pics apparently posted earlier seem to have disappeared?
Been 2.5y since Llaut posted here and a month since posting on the site so I fear we may never see the completed model, or, at least the status :|
Even reading it, sounds waaaay above where i'm at but would be fascinating to see.
Regards
Alan
Old 08-10-2020, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llaut Mallorquin View Post
Hi RickPink 65

Yes, it's a good kit but it has some flaw.
The instructions are practically nonexistent, although they are useful if you study them carefully.
You can save my photos to see how everything goes
The kit does not envisage reinforcing the deck and the frames with cardboard something strong, that must be corrected and paste the covers and frames in a cardboard of 1 mm.
This should be done (especially the deck) on a perfectly flat surface.
There is a design and printing fault on the roof in the area of the 4th mast, but it can be fixed by gluing two pieces of photocopy of the deck boards in that place.
The masts and rods do not correspond to the actual height of the boat.
I have deduced them from photographs and I am making them out of wood
The plates of living and dead work however, fit very well.
The paddle wheels can be made by 3D printer or as I did, drawing a template and then sticking on the spokes and rings.
Everything else fits perfectly, it's a very good kit.
I hope you enjoy as I build it.
Although, in my opinion, Schreiber models are perhaps the finest in the whole card model industry, it is a real pity that they didn't include any instructions for building this most beautiful and unique ship. That phoˇilosophy of stating the difficulty of the model on the cover thus thinking they are no longer responsible for any results when soemone with no experience with card models tries to make it,, doesn't mean anything. ANY human being who loves this ship, no matter how experienced he is with modelling, can freely buy this model and will get stuck when he tries to put it together just using guesswork. After seen other Schreiber models which include beautifully drawn and extremely well explained instructions, for instance, their St. Peter's cathedral in the Vatican, one really is dissapointed when one has to spend hours and hours deciphering a very confused isometric drawing with lots of flaws. The model CAN be built, no doubt, but good step by step instructions would help any modeler, even experienced ones, to make this fantastic ship.
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
How much more cost would you be satisfied with if every publisher includes step by step instructions for every model they release?
10%
25%
50%
100%
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the publishers would be looking to add 50% or more to the price of a model if they were to do that.

a model without instructions is like a jigsaw puzzle without the box art, it can still be put together, it will just take some extra time, and if you have done multiple models without directions or poorly drawn, your experience will help you through the build
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-10-2020, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
seeing the image

I also only see the text and the b/w photos. Are there any of the model?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
How much more cost would you be satisfied with if every publisher includes step by step instructions for every model they release?
10%
25%
50%
100%
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the publishers would be looking to add 50% or more to the price of a model if they were to do that.

a model without instructions is like a jigsaw puzzle without the box art, it can still be put together, it will just take some extra time, and if you have done multiple models without directions or poorly drawn, your experience will help you through the build
i am sure there would be very little increase in costs. And this is a hobby, not a guesswork game or any jigsaw puzzle to which, by the way, a card model cannot be compared with. The purpose of building any card, plastic or any other kind of model is to have some fun. Not to spend lots of time trying to guess how to assemble a model in which a mistake interpreting any assembly would be fatal. I prefer to pay some more than becoming a magician when making a card model as beautiful as the Great Eastern.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
We have publishers as members here on the forum, why don't you ask them about the step by step instructions.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Thanks Rickstef. Can you tell me who are? If possible, I would like to contact people from Schreiber.
Google Adsense