PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-14-2020, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello folks,

yes, the instructions are poor for such a big model. But: it is an old and for this dimensions a cheap kit. So I don't think, that the publisher will make a more detailed instruction for that kit.

Something is better then nothing. It is a truth, too: The rigging is a great theme in building models and only a very few kits come with satisfying rigging drawings.

Is there a possibilty to recover the building pictures? Then the report gets his flesh back!
Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i have built of schreirs ship models and do agree that their instructions are badly lacking but with some trial and error before glueing they usually make sense and nice models
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Hi Rick, nice suggestion but I don't have neither the time nor expertise to prepare detailed instructions. I am building the model. Fortunately, I scanned all internal parts and cut them with my laser cutter. This decision has helped me a lot because I have had to repeat several parts after trying to guess how they go. I will post photos of my finished model. The model IS buildable but sometimes the fun is lost and one gets frustrated when some parts have to be made again just trying to find out how they are attached to the model.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Time for Schreiber Bogen to take notice of their customer’s observations.

Regards,
Alan
Old 08-15-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Time for Schreiber Bogen to take notice of their customer’s observations.

Regards,
Alan
Thank you Allan for supporting my complain. I really doubt they will do anything. They don't respond to emails and I presume they just don't care much to satisfy their customers. I think they just say that sell the models as they are and good luck!! The Great Eastern IS buildable. But instead of having lots of fun with such a difficult model, it has become rather frustrating. Rigging is anotehr story. The worst part is general model assembly.
Best wishes
Pete
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
Schreiber models is by far one of the best brands of card models. They have been in business since 1831. They even have a beautiful small museum including almost all of the models they have published. This is one of the reasons I don't understand why they publish the only card model of the Great Eastern with such wonderful detail and accuracy and not including nice building instructions so anybody, beginner or expert, can make an accurate rendition of this most beautiful and interesting ship with a wonderful history. Please check the two scans I did on the only instruction drawings they include for such a complex model. On the first sheet I say that these are the only assembly drawings, I mean for general assembly. The other drawing is for rigging and final details.
i have never seen any written instuctions on any schreiber ship i have built . just diagrams which personally i have never had an issue following
Old 08-16-2020, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Tried to contact Llaut Mallorquin, but without any succes, probably he is not a member anymore on this forum, or has left us for some other reason. Pity, I would have like to ask him several questions about his model !!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
i have never seen any written instuctions on any schreiber ship i have built . just diagrams which personally i have never had an issue following
Have you seen the Schreiber's RMS TITANIC in 1/200 scale? I built one a few years ago. It has a fantastic instructions manual and excellent drawings taking you very carefully through all assembly steps. I also built the Schreiber Vatican St. Peter. An enormous, complicated and accurate model, easily built thanks to very nice assembly drawings with little written steps. I think that long, written instructions are not in general, necessary. I just think that well thought of and conceived assembly drawings is enough. This is something the Great Eastern is missing. People usually don't read long instructions but they do carefully study nice accurate assembly instructions.

Pete
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 100.19 MB
Günther Plath successfully built this model:
https://www.die-kartonmodellbauer.de...-verlag-1-200/

He's definitely a fan of the GE & did a lot of research himself during his build.

I would normally happily wade through the German myself, but i have other stuff to do today. If the language is not your bit, perhaps google translate can help.

Also, with Schreiber's BREMEN, there was a coupon to get instructions by mail...if you sent 4.80 DM. The Euro has been in use for over 20 years, but perhaps the address is still good...
Attached Thumbnails
Great eastern (schreiber bogen 1/200)-img_20200816_105815819.jpg  
Old 08-16-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
Have you seen the Schreiber's RMS TITANIC in 1/200 scale? I built one a few years ago. It has a fantastic instructions manual and excellent drawings taking you very carefully through all assembly steps. I also built the Schreiber Vatican St. Peter. An enormous, complicated and accurate model, easily built thanks to very nice assembly drawings with little written steps. I think that long, written instructions are not in general, necessary. I just think that well thought of and conceived assembly drawings is enough. This is something the Great Eastern is missing. People usually don't read long instructions but they do carefully study nice accurate assembly instructions.

Pete
lol that is one ship i never build but yes the newer models have good instructions. bremen is a great model and not simple,my favourite schreiber ship of all time is the hapag lloyd europa, i have built this many times along with QE2 and these 2 ONLY have assemmbly pictures no written instructions but they are easy to follow
Google Adsense