PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Prototype Test Build

Since the big part of starting the model design is rather slow, I decided to give myself a break and do a test build of the gun carriage for the 13.8cm guns that stick out the broadsides of Hoche.

The gun model is based upon the original plans although the 1:200 scale does not do justice to them. There are 17 pieces, not including the floor art which is just here to give an idea of the thing. From front to back the thing is maybe 1cm.

Not much but I know that things like this induce horror in Fred.

I apologize for the blurriness but it is small and my camera is misbehaving as its batteries die. Note that the edges are not colored as they should be, etc.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Hoche (1886), 1:200, Golden Bear Models-p8060036.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
GB: Where is it? J(Joking, of course.) How many do you need when you find them?

By the way, my Charlemagne is progressing slowly. I'm using your great model as a model where interpretation of plans is problematic. The level of my detail is not as ambitious.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
GB,
I thought you are designing a ship, not a huge toothpick and tweezer model :D

There is 17 parts in this tiny little thing???????????????
Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

He is stark raving mad, Mike, and he is trying to take the rest of us along with him! I have to check the Micro-Mark catalog to see if they have miniature tools to use when building GB models. I'm pretty sure he has elves shackled to his workbench that do this sort of component building for him.

Carl, when you get new batteries for your camera would give us a few more (closer) shots of that gun mount?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
I'm pretty sure he has elves shackled to his workbench that do this sort of component building for him.
:D

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Beautiful ship and work Carl. Will be following.
Full hull, yes.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 PM

OK, well, the elves have left for the day with their little cameras and I cannot get closer than about 4" to the subject even with super close up so this is about it for now. I'll do the barrels in a while but gun barrels are like pink elephants...

And, I am developing the full hull from the start. This is the Rev. 1 frame with the start of test skinning. The color doesn't show quite correctly in any of my photos buy I do think that I have it done pretty well when I look at the model here at home.

Carl

[edit:] What was missed with the toothpick is that it is a SANDED DOWN toothpick. I show it here with its pre-liposuction brother.
[edit:edit:] There are 18 of these 13.8cm guns on Hoche in her First State; 14 on the main deck and 4 in corners a couple decks higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoche (1886), 1:200, Golden Bear Models-p8060038.jpg   Hoche (1886), 1:200, Golden Bear Models-p8060037a.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
The pictures look fine Carl. But of course, that hull frame is a beauty. So the French had green hulls below the waterline, or is it only on this particular boat?
Mike
Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Oh, no. They all had green hulls for many decades! It seems also likely that they may have been green all over while finishing before getting their actual colors!

I may actually put some more cross frames into the lower hull, depending on how things go around the bow and stern. This is an advantage I have by doing lower and upper framing separately; I will need a lot of frames to hold the tumblehome in place but really don't need too many in the middle of the lower hull.

Carl

P.S. Ron, you can also build the ship with the ports closed. And I'll come up with something MUCH simpler if you want to keep the ports open. Remember that this is a labor of love and I do not want to spare excess for myself!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Eternal Member

A very beautiful hull design Carl

Google Adsense