PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-25-2017, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've had the Shipyard Revenge in my unmade pile for a few years now. Will be following this build with interest and in the hope of picking up a few tips

David
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.33 MB
Had a look at the layout of this ship, very close to the Hermione (1778), it's from the same time period as well (1765), it probably had a simular color scheme.

Later they painted it black, to transport Napoleon to the island Saint Helens, it stayed black as a symbol of its time
Attached Thumbnails
Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-hermione.jpg   Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-model-belle-poule.jpg  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:00 PM

Small Correction:

Quote:
On 27 July 1840, she set sail with special equipment for Saint Helena to bring back the remains of Napoleon. She had been painted black for the occasion. On 30 September, she arrived back in Cherbourg
, from the history of Napoleon
Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 PM

BTW: Your hull looks very nice.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 604.68 MB
Continuing the build. Installed some of the gun carriages in areas that are inaccessible when hull side framing and planking are laid on. Needed to match the color of the yellowish parts in the model for edge coloring and touch up. Could not find a commercial color to match. Used Vallejo Model Colors sun yellow with just a touch of bronze flesh tone. Made a test card with various amounts of bronze added to the yellow until I reached a reasonable match.

Touched up carriages and stringers. Then installed on ship. I will install gun barrels later so that they will not be damaged during construction.

Blank bulkhead problem resolved by drawing a new part using Word, printing, cutting and installing. Also added a new support carling under the forward edge of deck for support..
Attached Thumbnails
Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-color-match.jpg   Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-paint.jpeg   Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-stringers.jpeg   Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-stringers-close.jpeg   Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-new-bulkhead.jpeg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Nice mix of colors, very close.

Keep in mind that in those days they didn't have the colors we have today.

The yellow color was 'yellow ocre', was cheap to produce.
They had black, Blue, white. Red was a very expensive color (made from insects).
All other colors are expensive in those days and only used on the most luxury parts of the ships, Like the captains quarters.
Have a look at paintings of ships of those days, you will see that english, spanish, portugees, etc have all similar colors.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 604.68 MB
Making the cannon barrels. I like to edge glue the small round parts as tabs just get in the way and leave stiff spots in the final part. So after rolling the part around a toothpick I apply a small amount of glue to the edges and then insert it into a circle gauge (used by draftsmen) hole of the right size for the smaller diameter. Then work my way up the part and moving to the next larger hole until glue is set. The circle gauge maintains circularity in the finished part.
Attached Thumbnails
Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-barrel1.jpeg   Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-barrel2.jpeg   Le Belle Poule 1765 Frigate-barrel3.jpeg  
Old 01-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Great job so far! Wonderful build! I love the guns.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Great construction and howto pics make it easy to follow along .
Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Really enjoying to follow this build !
Google Adsense