PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-31-2017, 04:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Gents

Personally I find ship models the most frustrating and difficult to build. My personal success rate is about 1 in 10.

I have found that any modification to the kit will lead to certain disaster. The best tip I have found is to build the hull up on a stable base, which is then removed at a later stage.

It does seem that ship kits, mainly the hulls have no room for any error. All the other model types, you can usually bodge some other part to help

Other peoples build threads are a good source of information. The german forums are awash with boat builds.

Tim
Old 12-31-2017, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStarLine View Post
I really should not have listened to you guys because the models build like crap.....
Don't ask for advice if you're going to dismiss us and tell us our advice was wrong. I've built a ton of JSC kits with minimal issue over the last ten years so I think I DO have some insight on the construction of their kits.

Exactly what part looks like crap? How many HAVE you built?

Obviously my skill level is different from yours and everybody else on this forum, so maybe that's where the real difference is. I will be the first to admit I am not the supreme builder of paper models but I've been doing it long enough to be considered more than competent.

Sorry I gave you advice, I will think twice before I do so again.

greg
Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
Gents

Personally I find ship models the most frustrating and difficult to build. My personal success rate is about 1 in 10.

I have found that any modification to the kit will lead to certain disaster. The best tip I have found is to build the hull up on a stable base, which is then removed at a later stage.

It does seem that ship kits, mainly the hulls have no room for any error. All the other model types, you can usually bodge some other part to help

Other peoples build threads are a good source of information. The german forums are awash with boat builds.

Tim
have built most of the jsc ships both at 1;400 and some at larger scale.yoi picked up on most important part of instruction.spot glue the bas on to something -i use sheet of glass before you start any building.the hull designs can mean warping as you go if you dont do this which you dont notice as you go along.point is thats a builders problem NOT a designers.NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MODELS
Old 12-31-2017, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
Don't ask for advice if you're going to dismiss us and tell us our advice was wrong. I've built a ton of JSC kits with minimal issue over the last ten years so I think I DO have some insight on the construction of their kits.

Exactly what part looks like crap? How many HAVE you built?

Obviously my skill level is different from yours and everybody else on this forum, so maybe that's where the real difference is. I will be the first to admit I am not the supreme builder of paper models but I've been doing it long enough to be considered more than competent.

Sorry I gave you advice, I will think twice before I do so again.

greg

Wow, drama much? I've already had to scrap the mauretania for the 2nd time i've built that kit . "Sorry I gave you advice, I will think twice before I do so again." Okie fine by me
RMS Titanic 1:200
Old 12-31-2017, 03:57 PM

Just saying that these kits have given me so luch trouble because the parts are so flimsy that the stern of the ss United States is coming out horribly and yes I’m following the instructions even though they aren’t very detailed or specific. No other kit has given me so much of a problem (Printable ships and the 1:200 Titanic)
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2017, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
As a member of the forum for several years it has been instructive to see and read the various methods , hints and advice given freely by fellow members on their builds, no matter the subject, Each one has advanced or solidified an approach that has helped me improve my own modeling skills. It seems to be somewhat negative to dismiss freely given advice that, while it may run counter to one's experience, is, nevertheless, there for every other member to use and maybe offer improvements without negatively dismissing said advice.
Derek
Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStarLine View Post
Wow, drama much? I've already had to scrap the mauretania for the 2nd time i've built that kit . "Sorry I gave you advice, I will think twice before I do so again." Okie fine by me
No drama. Just trying to educate and form a 20 year old kid's mind.

Oh and I haven't scrapped my Mauretania build yet, but I am still working on it.

Greg
Old 12-31-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
No drama. Just trying to educate and form a 20 year old kid's mind.

Oh and I haven't scrapped my Mauretania build yet, but I am still working on it.

Greg
Oh really? I ain't no kid buddy. Good luck with your way of thinking. bye
Old 12-31-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrit View Post
As a member of the forum for several years it has been instructive to see and read the various methods , hints and advice given freely by fellow members on their builds, no matter the subject, Each one has advanced or solidified an approach that has helped me improve my own modeling skills. It seems to be somewhat negative to dismiss freely given advice that, while it may run counter to one's experience, is, nevertheless, there for every other member to use and maybe offer improvements without negatively dismissing said advice.
Derek

I had to scrap two kits! They clearly need reinforcement, that's why I asked and now I'm down 2 ships out of 3......