PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-24-2017, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)

This thread goes back quite a while, when I was trying to construct the hull of a Dutch Eastindiaman according to the Resolutions of the Heeren XVII of 1697. I reported how I discovered that computerprograms changed the design I derived from the Resolutions and how I abandoned ship when I found out I had not made the shape I wanted. I did not completely abandon ship however, because I gave it a second try, only to find out that I made a beginners mistake and ended up with a model with stem and stern under different angles. I threw it in the dustbin. You can see it here on top of a pile with other products. The lowermost is the first attempt.

A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-dsc01927-kopie.jpg

I made a third hull with better results and put it on a shelf because I thought it was too big for my house. But sometimes things change...
As you know my son makes photoshop paintings of my models and although we have a lot of fun doing it, we somehow felt the need to bring a man-of-war in the scenes.

A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-12.-pinas-kopie.jpg

From its shelf the first attempt to build the Eastindiaman still looked at me in a remorseful way, as I never could bring myself to destroy it. I decided to give the model another chance, because though it was not precisely what I wanted, I did like its shape.

I changed the aft part of the ship, being too 'modern', by raising the upper line to allow for more accommodation. The ship will carry 64 guns and though I do not have a particular ship in mind, it is obvious that this model is going to represent a ship from the late 50's. As you all know the Dutch were beaten in the first Anglo-Dutch war (1652-1654) due to the fact that they did not have the heavy battleships England did have. This resulted in an ambitious fleet building program for bigger ships. This is one of those ships.

Changing things in a design never goes without problems elsewhere. This morning I had to admit that a higher aft part of the ship, making it look more old-fashioned, has to be combined with a longer beak-head. So my next job will be cutting off the present beak-head and mounting another, longer one. I admit that this is an unconventional way of model building, but in the end the result will show I'm right. This model will bring us a lot of nice 'paintings'.

A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0413.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0417.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0415.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0414.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0416.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures and for not showing much of the technique of building, but it is all described in previous threads.
Google Adsense
Old 12-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.74 MB
I'm here...
Old 12-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Still here Ab, enjoying every post you make....
Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Every post you send is very interesting. I will be there.

Tomek
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
I'm here. Always enjoy your posts.

Fred
Google Adsense
Old 12-27-2017, 06:19 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
That photoshop painting is a beauty.
May I have your permission to use it as the background for my "desktop"?
Mike
Old 12-28-2017, 04:41 AM

Be my guest Michael, I consider your question as a big compliment. By the way, we more or less stole the composition from Willem van de Velde Jr. :-)
Thank you for your reactions, Frigate, Seahorse, Seascape and Elliott, I will soon post my progressions. The hull is almost finished, but the rigging will take a considerabel amount of time, I’m afraid.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Take your time Ab. imho the rigging is the best, most important part of a sailing ship and can't be rushed.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.40 MB
that is a really elegant vessel, nicely done! hope to see the finish, happy new year by the way.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 AM

It has been almost a month since I told you here that I was going to change the discarded hull of a big VOC Eastindiaman into a man-of-war. I will not discuss here whether it was a wise decision, but I just want to show you how far I have come in almost a month time. Let me tell you, this is a lot of work. And rigging has not even started yet!
Anyway, the hull is more or less finished (apart from some small items, like the lanterns, the anchors, the boat and sloop and some other haberdashes) and so are the 64 guns. Some of them are on the pictures, but not painted yet.

I decided to give she ship the name of city where I am living, Alkmaar. In spite of the fact that Alkmaar has never been a real maritime town (it is more a regional center), there have been ships in the fleet with that name, though much smaller than the 160 feet this ship measures. And since this is not a historical ship I gave myself some freedom in the choice of the decorations, although they are all historically correct.
The carvings were done in a two components material I discovered and which was sent to me from Spain (!). It is called Magic Sculpt and it leaves plenty of time to work with once the two putties are kneaded together.

A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0418.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0419.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0420.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0421.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0422.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0423.jpg

Something that really shows now, is the incredible size of the vessel, compared to the usual inshore ships I built over the last few years. This is where working in one scale finally pays off... At least it creates an idea of the relative sizes of these vessels.

A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0425.jpg A 17th century Dutch man-of-war (around 1660)-img_0426.jpg

Hope to see you next time.
Google Adsense