PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-26-2018, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Nicely done, Sir. When I was much younger I read a book about convoy duty which started out with a Flower class corvette and the trawler origins always stuck in my mind, along with civilians becoming involved in the changes to service life with all the problems therein. Your model brings powerful memories of that, thanks for showing this marvel.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
Nicely done, Sir. When I was much younger I read a book about convoy duty which started out with a Flower class corvette and the trawler origins always stuck in my mind, along with civilians becoming involved in the changes to service life with all the problems therein. Your model brings powerful memories of that, thanks for showing this marvel.
Thanks! I didn't know the design originated from a trawler, but I did notice that when side-by-side with the "Wuppertal" (see other thread) they are a similar size. I thought at first it was a scaling mistake...
Old 01-26-2018, 05:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.149549 The cruel sea by Nicholas Montserrat. Someone who served on those boats.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:18 AM

Excellent work. Good and clean build.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
the flower class design was off the shelf design of a whaling ship at the time of the late 1930s
Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 PM

Your 3 HMV models are near perfection. Absolutely beautifully done and I love them all. If these are your first attempts at paper modeling than I admire your ingenuity and professional approach to such projects. There must be some solid dose of general experience in model building standing behind it.

I'm posting under Agassiz because this one is particularly close to my vest. In fact I am the guy responsible for too long hull sides.... Model was designed almost 10 years ago so I could hardly remember all the details but I recall vaguely adding some length to the rear end of hull sides just in case some people would run into misalignment issues.

With paper modeling cutting off extra one or two millimeters is way easier than adding some. It seems in your case it caused misalignment issues of it's own. In the end your hull might be better executed than mine. It's true though, I haven't heard similar concerns before. In fact I fit tested my 3D hull core several months ago and hadn't spotted any of it. You can read my comments here. Nevertheless the way you solved it is pure pleasure to watch.

Congrats on all accounts.

Darius
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 321.25 MB
beautiful model mate, great to see
Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
Your 3 HMV models are near perfection. Absolutely beautifully done and I love them all. If these are your first attempts at paper modeling than I admire your ingenuity and professional approach to such projects. There must be some solid dose of general experience in model building standing behind it.

I'm posting under Agassiz because this one is particularly close to my vest. In fact I am the guy responsible for too long hull sides.... Model was designed almost 10 years ago so I could hardly remember all the details but I recall vaguely adding some length to the rear end of hull sides just in case some people would run into misalignment issues.

With paper modeling cutting off extra one or two millimeters is way easier than adding some. It seems in your case it caused misalignment issues of it's own. In the end your hull might be better executed than mine. It's true though, I haven't heard similar concerns before. In fact I fit tested my 3D hull core several months ago and hadn't spotted any of it. You can read my comments here. Nevertheless the way you solved it is pure pleasure to watch.

Congrats on all accounts.

Darius
Darius, Thanks very much for taking the time to comment, and congratulations on your design - it makes a really nice model. I had a good look at all the HMV kits in the Hamburg Maritime Museum before deciding on the Wuppertal, then the Mellum a few years later. I decided that I would only buy the more difficult models by Peter Brandt, since they had a certain “something” about them. However, when I saw the Corvette, it looked so good that I made an exception. Please take that as a compliment!

I did try cutting the stern joints, but it gave a mis-alignment on the depth charge apertures. I staggered the cuts in order to:

1) strengthen the top hull strip joints, and

2) make the modification less obvious by spreading it over a greater area. I also cut along existing panel lines for the same reason.

Yes, the three models I posted are my only paper models, but I’ve been plastic modelling for over 40 years.

I really appreciate your positive comments! Thanks.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM

It might be that while extending hull skin's rear edge, inadvertently, the depth charges apertures were also shifted back. It's been so long I'd need to re-familiarize myself with this project in order to say something credible. Hopefully by the time I'm doing another Flower class configuration I have perfect opportunity to implement many improvements...
Darius