PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
In Memoriam: Andrzej Samek (1924-2018)

Following the suggestion of Ms Czolczynska, while I was visting their Facebook site, I notice the sad news of the passing of Professor Andrzej Samek (1924-2018).He was a true polymath and a very influential paper model designer. As a professional he was a researcher at the Cracow University of Technology and the AGH University of Science and Technology, in the nascent field of automation and robotics. In addition he was a sea shell collector, and a “karton” model designer! This is before CAD-software, computers, printers, or even copiers that could reduce or enlarge. So he probably was armed with a pencil, eraser, ruler, French curves, knife, scissor, and Indian (Chinese for me) ink for the final drawing.
As far as I know he was responsible for a wealth of designs since 1952 with a lot of ships in my favorite scale 1/400, some planes and some armoured fighting vehicles. His ship designs spanned from civilian boats, submarines, pre-dreadnoughts, dreadnoughts , aircraft carriers, and atomic rocket cruisers (the only USS Long Beach I have seen in Karton). He was responsible for the inaugural issue of Maly Modelarz of landing crafts with a Chuchill tank.
This is a translation from JSC page: “We got a very sad message. In Krakow, died prof. Andrzej Samek. There is probably no modeler in Poland who would not know this name. Mr. Samek had been designing cardboard models since the beginning of model making in Poland. It can be said that he created cardboard modeling in our country. He began with the design of models issued by the Ministry of National Defense (MON), and later created for the Maly Modelarz.After a break, he returned to design in the nineties and continued designed models for JSC for many years. It is very sad to say goodbye to such a great person, a man with a real passion for modeling, but the memory of him will remain alive forever.”
We are thankful for his legacy, rest in peace!
Google Adsense
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Gunnar Sillen, in a 2000 essay, mentions Professor Samek, and his contributions to JSC models. There is a photo of the white paper prototype of the Great Eastern model, designed and build by Professor Samek.
Back to news from MODELLJORNALEN

"One day Andrzej Samek told Slavomir (Czolczynski of JSC): "I have had many students. But how glad I am to know that so many children are glueing my paper models..." "
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
I had seen the article on Gunnar's, and is very interesting to see that the 18 years old article also mention the current engines at JSC, Bartosz and Kasia! I hope they release the Great Eastern one of this days.
Important to mention is undoubtedly that Prof. Samek in some way served as mentor to Polish designers, with out the tools currently available to us in sites like this. Where we may ask our fellow modelers/designers on any relatable topic.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
He was a prolific designer with many nice models.
Konradus has a comprehensive list of his works: WSMK: f1aut

Rest in Peace.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
wireandpaper, thank you for the picture of Professor Andrzej Samek. It is a great loss for paper modelers. His death is a great loss for JSC also because we knew him personally.
Now JSC is run by Bartek and Kasia.
JSC founder Slawomir Czolczynski, who was Bartek's father and one of JSC designers Jan Schmidt who is Kasia's father, both of them built paper models as little boys in the fifties. In those days almost all paper models in Poland were designed by Professor Andrzej Samek.
Great Eastern - we will come back to this design some day in a future.
regards,
Kasia Czolczynska, JSC

Last edited by JSC; 02-13-2018 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Too bad the rest of the world cannot be a global community of friends like paper modelers...
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is a loss.
I never did make any models designed by him, but he did seem to make quite a contribution to the hobby.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 141.92 MB
So long and thank you for the models, Professor Samek!

It seems that I have actually built two of his designs, the Torpedoboat A20 (oob) and the Junkers W33 (scaled down and recoloured a bit), though I own a lot more. Maybe it's time to do another one?
Attached Thumbnails
In Memoriam: Andrzej Samek (1924-2018)-a20_4.jpg   In Memoriam: Andrzej Samek (1924-2018)-junkers_w33_011.jpg  
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I was unaware of Prof. Samek's contribution to paper modeling. I am sorry to hear of his passing, but am glad to have all this information about him and his designs.

Good thought, Michael!

Don
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
May he Rest In Peace. With our deep gratitude.

Wyvern
Google Adsense